Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Desktop Publishing

Desktop Publishing

John

Hi.I just wondered if anyone knows when Publisher stopped being
included as part of the Microsoft Office Premium packages?

I'm sure that it used to be as I have had it previously, but the last
couple of versions of Office, I'm sure it's not been included.

I don't think any of the old versions of Publisher or any of the old
Lotus DTP packages I have from years back would probably work with
Windows XP.

Can you recommend to me any free or cheapish DTP programs that are
pretty good?

Thanks for your help

John

DJ

Not sure when they quit including it, but if they would have never included
it, maybe it would have died a quiet death. MSP is one of those programs
that you love to hate. It likes nothing as far as emulation, importing or
exporting. And God forbid you need to publish to the web with it. The latest
version makes it a bit easier but a simple church secretary with above
average computer skills cannot do it. Word does it so much better, but then
there is that booklet thing with Word -doesn't work really well. So, you
don't have a whole lot of options. I use them both as well as a few others
but really wish the was something like Aldus Pagemaker still in existence.
If you are looking for something cheap and easy to learn, seriously consider
Printshop. Version 12 is what I have and it does all the DTP and also the
fun stuff. Doesn't convert to HTML or at least I haven't tried, maybe it
does. But if you are publishing to a web, you'll need something to make it
easier, no matter what you use. PS V.12 is just a couple of bucks on eBay.
Danno -started serious DTP with WP5.1 and haven't stopped yet. We don't need
no stinkin' WYSIWYG

John Rampling

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>

> Can you recommend to me any free or cheapish DTP programs that are
> pretty good?

Serif PagePlus costs $99.99 for the latest version which may seem expensive
until you compare it with QuarkExpress at a cool $749.

There are cheaper ways of getting hold of PagePlus - I paid only UKú15 for
version 8.0 PDF Edition direct from Serif which I consider a bargain. The
registration is a pain (but you can bypass it) and they like to chase you
every couple of weeks to sell you more stuff which is a bigger pain, but you
can opt out.

Sometimes you can find old versions on computer magazine cover CDs

John

Plato

John wrote:

> Hi.I just wondered if anyone knows when Publisher stopped being
> included as part of the Microsoft Office Premium packages?

Ask Microsoft.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Uplink

Sorta off topic, but what is a desktop publisher? Is that creating cards,
banners and stuff or is it web page making.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.I just wondered if anyone knows when Publisher stopped being
> included as part of the Microsoft Office Premium packages?
>
> I'm sure that it used to be as I have had it previously, but the last
> couple of versions of Office, I'm sure it's not been included.
>
> I don't think any of the old versions of Publisher or any of the old
> Lotus DTP packages I have from years back would probably work with
> Windows XP.
>
> Can you recommend to me any free or cheapish DTP programs that are
> pretty good?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> John

John Rampling

"Uplink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news5V5g.5301$a7.2839@edtnps90...
> Sorta off topic, but what is a desktop publisher? Is that creating cards,
> banners and stuff or is it web page making.

Documents, newspapers, magazines, cards, banners etc intended for output in
printed form. Most DTP programs allow creation of web pages too.

Most PC users don't seem to use DTP as their word processor provides many of
its features.

John