Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > How to Share files and sub folders on the network

How to Share files and sub folders on the network

John

Hi. I have a slight problem. I have shared the My Photos folder on
one system onto our home network so the other computer can see the
folder and backup the photos. However, the folder itself contains
other folders that are named with dates which contain photos that were
taken or saved onto the computer on those dates.

When I used Windows Backup it fails to backup the photos from these
folders saying "access is denied". When I go to the other system and
check the individual folders within the My Photos folder on the C
drive, it doesn't look like they have a check mark in the box that
says to share them.

I always thought that if you click to share the main folder of My
Photos that all the folders and files within that folder would also be
shared? Or does it just share the ones that exist at that time and any
that are subsequently created or added are not shared? I'm a tad
confused on this.

There must be a quick way to enable all the folders and files within a
folder to be shared as well?

Thanks very much for any help on this.

John

Randolph Graham

The best way would be to out the files into the SHARED folder, if your
running 2000 or XP. Otherwise, create a new folder, copy all the files into
it and changed the shared state in the properties of the main folder.

Hope this helps.

--
Randolph Graham
www.stainlandomputerservices.co.uk

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. I have a slight problem. I have shared the My Photos folder on
> one system onto our home network so the other computer can see the
> folder and backup the photos. However, the folder itself contains
> other folders that are named with dates which contain photos that were
> taken or saved onto the computer on those dates.
>
> When I used Windows Backup it fails to backup the photos from these
> folders saying "access is denied". When I go to the other system and
> check the individual folders within the My Photos folder on the C
> drive, it doesn't look like they have a check mark in the box that
> says to share them.
>
> I always thought that if you click to share the main folder of My
> Photos that all the folders and files within that folder would also be
> shared? Or does it just share the ones that exist at that time and any
> that are subsequently created or added are not shared? I'm a tad
> confused on this.
>
> There must be a quick way to enable all the folders and files within a
> folder to be shared as well?
>
> Thanks very much for any help on this.
>
> John

Randolph Graham

The best way would be to out the files into the SHARED folder, if your
running 2000 or XP. Otherwise, create a new folder, copy all the files into
it and changed the shared state in the properties of the main folder.

Hope this helps.

--
Randolph Graham
www.stainlandcomputerservices.co.uk