Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Speedfan CPU temperature monitor problems.

Speedfan CPU temperature monitor problems.

Bazzer Smith

I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
see what the CPU temperature was.
Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
does such lofty thing apparently.

It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
but they were something like:-

Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
it!!).

I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!

Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
audible.

Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
and quiet no roaring fan.

I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.

I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
reading.
Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

Ketchup is Evil

"Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newseT3g.404$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
> see what the CPU temperature was.
> Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
> does such lofty thing apparently.
>
> It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
> but they were something like:-
>
> Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
> it!!).
>
> I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
> I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
> but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
>
> Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
> up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
> audible.
>
> Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
> and quiet no roaring fan.
>
> I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
> program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
>
> I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
> reading.
> Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

I used motherboard monitor a while ago not sure if its still the latest and
best but it worked well for me... http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Bazzer Smith

"Ketchup is Evil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:445025d9$0$10672$(E-Mail Removed) u...

> "Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newseT3g.404$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
>> see what the CPU temperature was.
>> Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
>> does such lofty thing apparently.
>>
>> It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
>> but they were something like:-
>>
>> Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
>> it!!).
>>
>> I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
>> I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
>> but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
>>
>> Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
>> up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
>> audible.
>>
>> Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
>> and quiet no roaring fan.
>>
>> I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
>> program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
>>
>> I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
>> reading.
>> Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

> I used motherboard monitor a while ago not sure if its still the latest
> and best but it worked well for me... http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

I don't think it supports my mobo, its not listed there but then
it's a 'special' for the PC manufacturer, you can't buy it seperately
I believe.Maybe thats why I get those weird results.

I am 100% sure its not 109 degrees C, I think I would smell
burning or see smoke!! (and thats at 1% CPU) plus I can
cannot hear the fan at all, all appears to be running quet and cool
so I think I will just ignore those readings as erroneous ones.
Thanks anyway.

VanShania

Go into your bios and see what it reports for a temp.

--
GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5

3DMark 05 Free Scores- Overall 1815, Cpu 4535
Max Performance Graphic Settings, 1024X768

Games I'm Playing-
Battlezone II, IL-2 Sturmovick Series
Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
Civ IV

"Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newseT3g.404$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
> see what the CPU temperature was.
> Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
> does such lofty thing apparently.
>
> It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
> but they were something like:-
>
> Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
> it!!).
>
> I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
> I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
> but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
>
> Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
> up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
> audible.
>
> Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
> and quiet no roaring fan.
>
> I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
> program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
>
> I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
> reading.
> Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

Jerry

Bazzer Smith wrote:
> I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
> see what the CPU temperature was.
> Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
> does such lofty thing apparently.
>
> It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
> but they were something like:-
>
> Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
> it!!).
>
> I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
> I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
> but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
>
> Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
> up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
> audible.
>
> Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
> and quiet no roaring fan.
>
> I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
> program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
>
> I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
> reading.
> Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

Don't ignore the readings. I had a CPU (XP 3200+) running at 90 C
because the fins were clogged with dust. I didn't smell anything
burning and glad I caught it when I did. Because it got so hot, it
would never run at the full 200 mhz FSB it was supposed to without the
system randomly rebooting. I had to underclock the CPU and I finally
have upgraded my CPU with a newer faster one (A64 3700+) along with an
ASUS A8N32 SLI mobo. As to it being quieter, take off the case cover
and make sure the fan is turning on the CPU. Even new CPU fans can go
bad. If it has stopped running, the CPU could easily get to 104 C.

Bazzer Smith

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5u14g.147$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bazzer Smith wrote:
>> I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
>> see what the CPU temperature was.
>> Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
>> does such lofty thing apparently.
>>
>> It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
>> but they were something like:-
>>
>> Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
>> it!!).
>>
>> I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
>> I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
>> but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
>>
>> Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
>> up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
>> audible.
>>
>> Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
>> and quiet no roaring fan.
>>
>> I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
>> program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
>>
>> I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
>> reading.
>> Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.
>>

> Don't ignore the readings. I had a CPU (XP 3200+) running at 90 C because
> the fins were clogged with dust. I didn't smell anything burning and glad
> I caught it when I did. Because it got so hot, it would never run at the
> full 200 mhz FSB it was supposed to without the system randomly rebooting.
> I had to underclock the CPU and I finally have upgraded my CPU with a
> newer faster one (A64 3700+) along with an ASUS A8N32 SLI mobo. As to it
> being quieter, take off the case cover and make sure the fan is turning on
> the CPU. Even new CPU fans can go bad. If it has stopped running, the
> CPU could easily get to 104 C.

I just had a look in the BIOS and all is will CPU was 35 degrees C.
Fan is running. it nearly took the tip of my finger off when I 'tested' it.

Bazzer Smith

Just checked in BIOS and it said 35C which sounds fine to me.
The reports of 109C for CPU2 are obviously wrong.

"VanShania" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9eZ3g.10626$c%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go into your bios and see what it reports for a temp.
>
> --
> GA-K8NSC-939 nForce3, A64 3500+, Stock Cooler IdleTemp 28 C
> 2 Gb Dual Channel PC3200 OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5 CL2.5
> ATI All-in-Wonder 9600XT
> Moniter-Viewsonic A91f 19in
> PATA WD 80+120 Gb HD 8mb buffers
> Pioneer 110D+Liteon 1693S Dual Layer burner
> Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse
> Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick
> Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
> Thermaltake Midtower with noname 350 Watt PSU
> Cheap computer speakers with Sennheiser HD 477 Headphones
>
> 3DMark 05 Free Scores- Overall 1815, Cpu 4535
> Max Performance Graphic Settings, 1024X768
>
> Games I'm Playing-
> Battlezone II, IL-2 Sturmovick Series
> Empire Earth 2, Need For Speed: Underground 2,
> Civ IV
>

> "Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newseT3g.404$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
>> see what the CPU temperature was.
>> Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
>> does such lofty thing apparently.
>>
>> It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
>> but they were something like:-
>>
>> Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
>> it!!).
>>
>> I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
>> I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
>> but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
>>
>> Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
>> up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
>> audible.
>>
>> Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
>> and quiet no roaring fan.
>>
>> I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
>> program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
>>
>> I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
>> reading.
>> Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

Phil Weldon

'Basser Smith' wrote:
|I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
| see what the CPU temperature was.
| Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
| does such lofty thing apparently.
|
| It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
| but they were something like:-
|
| Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
| it!!).
|
| I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
| I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
| but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
_____

There are several types of temperature sensors. The two most common in PCs
are thermistors and diodes. Thermistors don't use the same conversion
factor as diodes. Usually when you have a completely unreasonable
temperature, the conversion factor is set incorrectly in the display
program. The 105 C reading is likely caused by a setting for a thermistor,
when the sensor is actually a diode.

Just looking at your three sensor readings, if 24 C is the room temperature:

the 27 C is likely the motherboard temperature, not the CPU temperature

the 104 C is likely the CPU, but with the wrong conversion factor - it is
reading about 50 C too high.

A CPU temperature when the CPU is not under a heavy processing load is too
high, especially if you are interested in overclocking.

Getting the CPU temperature from the BIOS is not a very good indication of
running temperature, because you have just booted up the computer, and very
little processing is going on.

You should check your cooling:
ventilation of the system case
dust in the heatsink fins
thermal compound and mating of the CPU to the heatsink.

Phil Weldon

"Bazzer Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newseT3g.404$(E-Mail Removed)...
|I have a new computer so though it would be cool to
| see what the CPU temperature was.
| Anyways I download a program called speedfan which
| does such lofty thing apparently.
|
| It gave several temperatures, I am unsure for what
| but they were something like:-
|
| Ambient 24C CPU 27C CPU2 104C (with a little flame icon deside
| it!!).
|
| I found that rather worrying!! 104 seems very hot.
| I am not sure what this means I don't thinkI have a CPU2
| but I also read that CPU2 was the main CPU!!!
|
| Anywaywhen I exited the program I noticed it speeded
| up the fan massively (my computer was nice and quiet before hand). Bare
| audible.
|
| Anyway I rebooted and all was back to normal nice
| and quiet no roaring fan.
|
| I am pretty sure my CPU was not at 104C, I tried another similar
| program, Hmonitor which reported similar results, ie CPU2 at 104.
|
| I just tried hmonitor again and it says 109C!! Surely this is a wrong
| reading.
| Not willing to use Speedfan again cos I eblieve it is 'unsafe'.

alanber@gmail.com

As for Hmonitor, much probably you have not tuned the program, ie set
right sensor types.
And, 3rd sensor entry may be not connected at all, giving you wild
values.

VanShania

The best and most accurate software to check temps would probably be with
the software that came with your motherboard or "Motherboard Moniter". Your
can get it at majorgeeks http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads7.html

--
Sapphire X1600 Pro 512mb AGP
MSI Theater 550Pro TV Tuner
PATA WD 80+120 Gb HD 8mb buffers
Pioneer 110D+Liteon 1693S Dual Layer burner
Logitech MX 310 Optical Mouse
Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 Joystick
Microsoft ergonomic keyboard
Cheap computer speakers with Sennheiser HD 477 Headphones

3DMark05Free-Overall 4006 Original Drivers
Cpu 4264
3Dmark2001 - 17680