Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Lost Access to 2 CD Drives Simultaneously

Lost Access to 2 CD Drives Simultaneously

guilbert671@yahoo.com

Hello,

I just booted up my machine this morning only to find it is no longer
recognizing either of my 2 CD drives. I've tried rebooting the 'puter
3 times, and running the Add Hardware utility on Control Panel. When
I do that, it states that it found the driver, but can't find the
hardware. Is it possibly a motherboard problem, since I don't think 2
drives can simultaneously die? By the way, I can open and close their
doors by pushing the open button, so they are getting electrical
power. Also, the lights flash when I insert a CD, indicating the
drives are indeed reading the disk!

Oh, the 'puter is a 2001 vintage HP Celeron 766 MHz running Windows
XP, version 2002 Service Pack 2. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Marc

guilbert671@yahoo.com

Never mind, I think I fixed this by downloading and executing
cdgone.reg from http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems

Thanks for your attention.

Marc