Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Western Digital WD2500KS Hard Drive - SMART/Overheating problem??

Western Digital WD2500KS Hard Drive - SMART/Overheating problem??

Chris

Hi all,

I thought I'd try Google groups about this problem I'm having with some
new drives I purchased. They are 250GB Western Digital WD2500KS SATA II
drives.

Basically, they appear to over heat and fail. SMART on Everest detects
that they are about 20deg C over temperature they should be and even
once Windows 2003 shut them down to prevent data loss!

Has anyone had this problem with their drive? Western Digital have
confirmed this as a firmware bug, but it seems a bit more serious than
that as I've had four drives which have all done the same thing!

Any notes on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

-nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about 15 Apr 2006 10:01:06 -0700, in
alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Chris"
<(E-Mail Removed)> spewed the following:

|Hi all,
|
|I thought I'd try Google groups about this problem I'm having with some
|new drives I purchased. They are 250GB Western Digital WD2500KS SATA II
|drives.
|
|Basically, they appear to over heat and fail. SMART on Everest detects
|that they are about 20deg C over temperature they should be and even
|once Windows 2003 shut them down to prevent data loss!
|
|Has anyone had this problem with their drive? Western Digital have
|confirmed this as a firmware bug, but it seems a bit more serious than
|that as I've had four drives which have all done the same thing!
|
|Any notes on this would be greatly appreciated.
There is a faulty sensor in these drives, other than that, they are a
great drive. If the drives are failing due to heat, you may want to
consider mounting a fan in the front of your case that blows air over
the hard drive.
--
-nos1eep

Willah

Open up your case, are they hot or very warm to the touch?

If so, you know it's not a faulty sensor or firmware.

With new drives, always leave one drive space (about 1.5") between the
drives so that air can flow between them, and it's always good to have
a case with a front mounted intake that blows over the HDDs.