Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Backup

Backup

Hogan &&&&

Hello every one
How can I make backup by windows xp home?
Thank you

bambam

"Hogan &&&&" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:443cc9d3$1_1
@news.chariot.net.au:

> Hello every one
> How can I make backup by windows xp home?

Hello Saref!
For partition imaging you might like to have a look at DriveImage XML-

http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

For general backups I like SyncBack-

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

or Karen's Replicator

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

dreamtheater_142@yahoo.com

Windows XP has it's own backup option. But I prefer Acronis True Image,
it has several advantages like incremental and differential backups,
back up individual file/folder, build-in scheduler and the highest
level compression. Due to fool-proof intuitive wizard, it's very easy
and convenient to use.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

Craig Davies

"Hogan &&&&" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:443cc9d3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello every one
> How can I make backup by windows xp home?
> Thank you

Microsoft Backup:

1. Insert your Windows XP Home Edition CD in your drive.

2. Navigate to the \VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP folder on the CD.

3. Double-click Ntbackup.msi.

Microsoft Backup runs in Wizard mode by default; you simply follow the
prompts to back up or restore. There are advanced modes where you can select
exactly which files to back up, but this course covers only the simple
method.

Depending on the contents of your My Documents folder, you may need a lot of
disk space for backing it up. Backup can split the backup file between
multiple removable disks if needed, so you can use removable disks with less
capacity per disk than you need for the total backup job.

Use the following steps to back up your documents and settings:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup.
The Backup or Restore Wizard runs. Click Next to begin.

2. Click Back up files and settings, and then click Next.

3. Click My documents and settings, and then click Next.

4. In the Choose a place to save your backup box, enter the path to
the desired location. (You can click Browse to locate it if desired.) If
you're backing up to a drive, type the drive letter here.

5. In the Type a name for this backup box, type a name for the backup
file set, and then click Next.

6. Click Finish, and then wait for the backup to complete. The Backup
Progress dialog box appears as the backup is occurring

7. When the Backup Progress box reports Backup is complete, click
Close.

If you ever need to restore your backup, you first want to bring the
computer up to an operational state if something is wrong with it. That may
mean reloading Windows. When everything seems to be working okay, use these
steps to restore your backup:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Backup.
The Backup or Restore Wizard runs. Click Next.

2. Click Restore files and settings, and then click Next.

3. Double-click an item on the left to see its contents, mark the
checkbox for the folder or drive you want to restore, and then click Next.

4. Click Finish. The restore process begins.

5. When the restore is complete, click Close.

Backing up the Registry with Regedit

It's a good idea not to make any changes in Regedit because it edits the
Registry directly, and this can be a dangerous proposition. One false move
and Windows will be disabled entirely. However, in this case, you're not
making any changes -- just a backup.

Here's how to back up the Registry with Regedit:

1. Select Start > Run. Type regedit, and then click OK. The Registry
Editor window appears.

2. Select File > Export. The Export Registry File dialog box appears

3. In the Export Range area, select the All option button.

4. Select a save location. If you have a remote location available,
such as a network drive, save it there; it won't do you much good to save a
backup on your same hard disk as Windows is installed.

5. Type a name for the backup file. (It's good to use a date in the
name, such as Registry0604 for a backup created in June, 2004.)

6. Click OK. The Registry is backed up.

7. Close the Registry Editor window.

You might need to restore this backup if something happens that corrupts
your Registry file, such as installing bad software or making changes to the
Registry that result in Windows not working correctly. To restore a backup,
you simply open the Registry Editor and select File > Import, and then
select the saved backup in the dialog box that appears.

When you go back to a previous configuration, you don't lose any data files,
but Windows loses its recollection of any programs that were installed since
that backup. Suppose, for

example, you make a backup of the Registry in the morning, and then you
install Microsoft Word and create a Word document. After that, you install a
game that causes problems,

so you decide to restore your Registry backup. After doing so, Word no
longer works because it's no longer installed (that is, its entries are no
longer in the Registry), but the Word

document you created is still there on your hard disk. You now need to
reinstall Word.

The Regedit method in the preceding section works great if you need to back
up the Registry to some other location than your local hard disk. Doing so
helps you reconstruct your system if the entire hard disk goes bad.

However, you're much more likely to have Registry problems caused by
something other than a complete hard disk failure. For example, a beginner
changing entries in the Registry Editor can cause problems, and a poorly
written application can make bad changes to the Registry when it installs.
In cases like that, it's not critical that the backup of the Registry be
stored in some remote location; it can be right there on your hard disk (and
in fact is more convenient that way).

The System Restore utility in Windows XP is a fast, easy way to create a
Registry backup, called a snapshot, or restore point, and storing it on your
local hard disk. You can easily restore a saved snapshot to fix any Registry
problems. Windows automatically saves a new snapshot every day, and keeps
them for about two weeks, so you can take your system's settings back to an
earlier time whenever something happens to cause problems. You can also
create your own snapshots (for example, right before you install some
questionable software).

Creating a restore point

To create a System Restore snapshot, follow these steps

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System
Restore.

2. In the Welcome box that appears, click Create a restore point, and
then click Next.

3. Type a description for the restore point, . This can be anything
that will help jog your memory. For example, if you're creating a restore
point as a precaution before you install a certain new program, you might
call it Before Install. Click Create.

4. Click Close to close the utility.

Restoring a previous Windows state

If your system is starting to have problems, such as error messages,
inability to start normally, or lockups, and you just installed some new
program or changed a system setting, you're probably wishing you had never
done it! System Restore can help you go back in time, restoring the Registry
to the condition it was in before the unfortunate incident.

As mentioned earlier, System Restore saves a system checkpoint every day
automatically, so even if you haven't manually created a configuration
snapshot (see the previous section), you should still be able to back up the
previous day's configuration, at a minimum.

To restore from System Restore, follow these steps:

1. Close all open programs, and then select Start > All Programs >
Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

2. Leave Restore my computer to an earlier time selected, and then
click Next.

3. On the calendar that appears, click the date of the restore point you
want to use. Dates containing restore points appear in boldface. Some dates
have more than one restore point.

4. On the list to the right of the calendar, click the restore point
you want, and then click Next.

5. A confirmation appears. Click Next.

6. Your computer restarts itself. When Windows comes back up, a
confirmation box appears. Click OK to close it.

Your system is now restored to the chosen configuration. If that solved your
problem, great. If it introduced even more problems, you can always reverse
the System Restore

process. To do so, restart System Restore, and then select Undo my last
restoration.

Backup System state with Backup

To back up the system state with Backup, follow these steps:

1. Start the Backup utility. The Backup or Restore Wizard runs.

2. Click the Advanced Mode hyperlink on the Welcome screen. The Backup
Utility window appears.

3. Click the Backup tab. A list of drives appears in the left pane,
like a folder tree in a file management window.

This Backup tab is also where you go to back up specific files with the
Backup utility.

4. Check the System State checkbox in the left pane.

5. In the Backup media or file name box (at the bottom), enter a path and
file name to back up to.

6. Click Start Backup. A Backup Job Information dialog box appears.

7. (Optional) Edit the text in the Backup Description box to mention
that this is a system state backup.

8. Click Start Backup, and then wait for the backup to complete.

9. When the message appears that the backup is complete, click Close.

You restore a system state backup the same way you restore a data backup
with the Backup utility.

Backing up Microsoft Outlook data

If you use Outlook as your primary email application, the easiest way to
back up your data is to make a copy of the Outlook.pst file, and then save
it somewhere safe. Different versions of Outlook store the Outlook.pst file
in different places, but in the latest version of Outlook you'll find it
here:

Documents and Settings\{your name}\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pstYou can also back up individual parts of
the Outlook data file, if you don't want everything.

For example, to back up only your Contacts list (where email addresses and
other contact information is stored), do the following in Outlook 2003
(other versions are similar but the steps may be slightly different):

1. Select File > Import and Export.

2. Select Export to a File, and then click Next.

3. Select the format in which you want to back up, and then click
Next.

If you're backing up so you can reimport into Outlook if you lose your data,
select Personal Folder File (.pst). This is the Outlook data format.

4. In the Export Personal Folders dialog box, select the Contacts
folder, and then click Next.

5. In the Save exported file as box, enter the path and file name to
back up to (or Browse for it).

6. Click Finish.

7. If you chose to back up in Personal Folder File format, an
additional box appears; click OK to accept the defaults.

Restoring data to Outlook

If you copied the entire Outlook.pst file, do the following to restore it:

1. If needed, install Outlook on the computer where the data file
should be restored. It must be the same version or later as the one from
which you backed up.

2. Start Outlook to allow it to create a new, blank Outlook.pst file,
and then exit.

3. In a file management window, overwrite the new copy's Outlook.pst
file with your backed up one.

4. Restart Outlook. All your original data will appear there.

If you exported only certain data from Outlook, as in the preceding section,
restore it like this:

1. In Outlook, select File > Import and Export.

2. Select Import from another program or file, and then click Next.

3. Select the file type, and then click Next.

4. Select the file to import (use Browse if needed), and then click
Next.

5. If you're importing from a Personal Folder File, an additional box
appears where you can select the folder(s). Do so.

6. Click Finish.

Backing up Outlook Express addresses

You can export addresses from Outlook Express to either a Microsoft Exchange
Personal Address Book or to a text file. If you back up to a personal
address book format, the exported addresses will work with other programs
that use Exchange format. If you back up to a text file, you create a
comma-separated text file that can be copied to disk and stored as a backup.
(That's what you want in this case.)

To export the addresses as a text file, follow these steps:

1. Select File > Export > Address Book. The Address Book Export tool
appears.

2. Click Text File, and then click Export.

3. A prompt appears for a file name. Enter the file name and location
(or Browse), and then click Next.

4. Leave the default field selections marked, and then click Finish.

5. Click Close.

If something happens to your computer and you have to reload Windows or
reinstall Outlook Express, you can retrieve your stored addresses by
importing from the file you exported. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Select File > Import > Other Address Book.

2. On the list of formats, select Text File (Comma Separated Values),
and then click Import.

3. Click Browse to locate the file containing the addresses, click OK
, and then click Next.

4. Leave the default field selections, and then click Import.

5. Wait for the import to finish, click OK, and then click Close.

Craig Davies

I prefer this method because it saves money than buying backup software,
when you can do it on Windows XP for free. Even if the backup software is
probably easier.

Hogan &&&&

Thank you Craig very much. I'll do what's written.
Hogan
news:(E-Mail Removed)...