Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > AMD64 or Semperon, deal or no deal?

AMD64 or Semperon, deal or no deal?

Tad Confused

I have been weighing up the value of these two processors
in a new system. It seems to me the two processors have
fairly similar performances in most situations but that an
AMD64 system is considerably more expensive at about
100 - 150 more (not so easy to compare as other items
on the machines differ).
I am beginning to think that the Semperon would be a better
option for me because of the following reason - all the AMD64
systems I have seen available (at a price I am willing to pay)
appear to be socket 754, so I will be paying a highish price for
an end of line system with little or no possibility of upgradability.
If that is the case then I may as well get the cheaper Semperon
and use the fairly considerable amount of money I save to upgrade
to a 939 system (new motherboard and processor) at a later date.

Basically my only upgrade cost would be the new motherboard
which at todays prices is about 60 because I will have to buy
a new processor anyway.

A few other points:-

What are those card reader thingys and can I add one if it doesn't
have one build in.

Is the semperon 64 bit?

Does it have cool and quiet?

I think the answers depend on the processor model but I won't
know what that is in store.

Or maybe I should go for the AMD64 machine with a higher spec
(and price) even if it is end of line?

It would solve all my probs if I could get a 939 AMD64 but I don't
want to spend more than 550 (well 500 really).

It's all very confusing!!

Why are the 939 systems so hard to find at a decent price when
the motherboards don't actually cost much more (10)?
Seems to me its a question of clearing obsolete stock and the
supply chain is basically a monopoly? (I am in the UK).

Tad Confused

"Tad Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:n5i_f.69$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been weighing up the value of these two processors
> in a new system. It seems to me the two processors have
> fairly similar performances in most situations but that an
> AMD64 system is considerably more expensive at about
> 100 - 150 more (not so easy to compare as other items
> on the machines differ).
> I am beginning to think that the Semperon would be a better
> option for me because of the following reason - all the AMD64
> systems I have seen available (at a price I am willing to pay)
> appear to be socket 754, so I will be paying a highish price for
> an end of line system with little or no possibility of upgradability.
> If that is the case then I may as well get the cheaper Semperon
> and use the fairly considerable amount of money I save to upgrade
> to a 939 system (new motherboard and processor) at a later date.
>
> Basically my only upgrade cost would be the new motherboard
> which at todays prices is about 60 because I will have to buy
> a new processor anyway.
>
> A few other points:-
>
> What are those card reader thingys and can I add one if it doesn't
> have one build in.
>
> Is the semperon 64 bit?

Seems some are and some ain't, will be hard work finding out
what is in the box
http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx

> Does it have cool and quiet?
>
> I think the answers depend on the processor model but I won't
> know what that is in store.
>
> Or maybe I should go for the AMD64 machine with a higher spec
> (and price) even if it is end of line?
>
> It would solve all my probs if I could get a 939 AMD64 but I don't
> want to spend more than 550 (well 500 really).
>
> It's all very confusing!!
>
> Why are the 939 systems so hard to find at a decent price when
> the motherboards don't actually cost much more (10)?
> Seems to me its a question of clearing obsolete stock and the
> supply chain is basically a monopoly? (I am in the UK).

Noozer

"Tad Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:n5i_f.69$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been weighing up the value of these two processors
> in a new system. It seems to me the two processors have
> fairly similar performances in most situations but that an
> AMD64 system is considerably more expensive at about
> 100 - 150 more (not so easy to compare as other items
> on the machines differ).

> Basically my only upgrade cost would be the new motherboard
> which at todays prices is about 60 because I will have to buy
> a new processor anyway.

And new RAM. Chances are that the new board will need DDR2 by that time.

> A few other points:-
>
> What are those card reader thingys and can I add one if it doesn't
> have one build in.

You can add a memory card reader. There are lots out there and they are
pretty cheap!
> Or maybe I should go for the AMD64 machine with a higher spec
> (and price) even if it is end of line?

You need to ask yourself two basic questions...

- Will I use this same machine, unupgraded for 2 or more years?

- Do I plan to do any gaming on this PC?

I built my current PC about 30 months ago. I didn't scrimp (but kept away
from leading edge) so the machine has been a joy to use. I'm planning on
replacing it finally, but only because we want a PVR. My current machine
will take over the PVR function and I'll get a new machine. I probably could
have used this PC for another year or two without any problems.

So, if this machine will stay unupgraded within two years, get whatever
technology fits your budget and plan to replace the whole machine at the end
of it's life. This is usually the best strategy for most users.

If you plan to upgrade bits here and there, then you need to plan your
strategy. You can pick up a cheap socket 939 mainboard these days. A Sempron
may do OK for a while. You really need to plan your upgrades in advance.

If you are going to do any gaming, then forget about saving any money. Get a
good processor, decent video card, then build your PC around that. 512meg of
memory will be OK, but 1gig is better. Don't worry about getting super fast,
low latency memory as it really adds to the cost - but don't get cheapo
either.

Dr Nick

"Tad Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:n5i_f.69$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been weighing up the value of these two processors
> in a new system. It seems to me the two processors have
> fairly similar performances in most situations but that an
> AMD64 system is considerably more expensive at about
> 100 - 150 more (not so easy to compare as other items
> on the machines differ).
> I am beginning to think that the Semperon would be a better
> option for me because of the following reason - all the AMD64
> systems I have seen available (at a price I am willing to pay)
> appear to be socket 754, so I will be paying a highish price for
> an end of line system with little or no possibility of upgradability.
> If that is the case then I may as well get the cheaper Semperon
> and use the fairly considerable amount of money I save to upgrade
> to a 939 system (new motherboard and processor) at a later date.
>
> Basically my only upgrade cost would be the new motherboard
> which at todays prices is about 60 because I will have to buy
> a new processor anyway.
>
> A few other points:-
>
> What are those card reader thingys and can I add one if it doesn't
> have one build in.
>
> Is the semperon 64 bit?
>
> Does it have cool and quiet?
>
> I think the answers depend on the processor model but I won't
> know what that is in store.
>
> Or maybe I should go for the AMD64 machine with a higher spec
> (and price) even if it is end of line?
>
> It would solve all my probs if I could get a 939 AMD64 but I don't
> want to spend more than 550 (well 500 really).
>
> It's all very confusing!!
>
> Why are the 939 systems so hard to find at a decent price when
> the motherboards don't actually cost much more (10)?
> Seems to me its a question of clearing obsolete stock and the
> supply chain is basically a monopoly? (I am in the UK).

I actually just read a review on www.tomshardware.com (sorry dont' ahve the
exact link, so a search for athlong 64 or sempron 64) but from their article
they said it's best to go witha slower athlon 64 machine than a higher end
semperon. (main reason that sempron is old motherboard and athlon can be
bought on the new 939 boards (which ironically, are now going to be obsolete
by the new M2 socket). I'm currently in the same suitation, looking for a
cheap computer, and I think I'm going to go with an athlon 64 939 mainly
because of a lot less limited upgrade path. (think about it, could get the
cheapest 939 athlon and in a year or so upgrade to what is the fastest at
this current time and save a bundle). if your not doing any gaming, thats
how I'd go.

Tad Confused

"Dr Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Tad Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:n5i_f.69$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have been weighing up the value of these two processors
> > in a new system. It seems to me the two processors have
> > fairly similar performances in most situations but that an
> > AMD64 system is considerably more expensive at about
> > 100 - 150 more (not so easy to compare as other items
> > on the machines differ).
> > I am beginning to think that the Semperon would be a better
> > option for me because of the following reason - all the AMD64
> > systems I have seen available (at a price I am willing to pay)
> > appear to be socket 754, so I will be paying a highish price for
> > an end of line system with little or no possibility of upgradability.
> > If that is the case then I may as well get the cheaper Semperon
> > and use the fairly considerable amount of money I save to upgrade
> > to a 939 system (new motherboard and processor) at a later date.
> >
> > Basically my only upgrade cost would be the new motherboard
> > which at todays prices is about 60 because I will have to buy
> > a new processor anyway.
> >
> > A few other points:-
> >
> > What are those card reader thingys and can I add one if it doesn't
> > have one build in.
> >
> > Is the semperon 64 bit?
> >
> > Does it have cool and quiet?
> >
> > I think the answers depend on the processor model but I won't
> > know what that is in store.
> >
> > Or maybe I should go for the AMD64 machine with a higher spec
> > (and price) even if it is end of line?
> >
> > It would solve all my probs if I could get a 939 AMD64 but I don't
> > want to spend more than 550 (well 500 really).
> >
> > It's all very confusing!!
> >
> > Why are the 939 systems so hard to find at a decent price when
> > the motherboards don't actually cost much more (10)?
> > Seems to me its a question of clearing obsolete stock and the
> > supply chain is basically a monopoly? (I am in the UK).

> I actually just read a review on www.tomshardware.com (sorry dont' ahve

the
> exact link, so a search for athlong 64 or sempron 64) but from their

article
> they said it's best to go witha slower athlon 64 machine than a higher

end
> semperon. (main reason that sempron is old motherboard and athlon can be
> bought on the new 939 boards (which ironically, are now going to be

obsolete
> by the new M2 socket). I'm currently in the same suitation, looking for a
> cheap computer, and I think I'm going to go with an athlon 64 939 mainly
> because of a lot less limited upgrade path. (think about it, could get the
> cheapest 939 athlon and in a year or so upgrade to what is the fastest at
> this current time and save a bundle). if your not doing any gaming, thats
> how I'd go.

That is what I used to think however I an f**ked if I can find a athlon 64
at a reasonable price and the ones I can find are almost certaintly 745
versions.
(it seems impossible to find out untill you have bought the machine).

The situation I seem to be in is that I will have to pay an extra 150 for
the athlon64 with a 200gig drive and 256 graphics as opposed to
a semperon with an 80gig drive and 64meg graphics.
I estimate the 200gig drive is worth 30 more so that leaves 120
for the graphics (which I aint to bothered about) and the AMD64
which is actually 745 anyway, so if I am buying an unupgradable
system I might as well get the cheaper won (400 v 550).
The main problem is I can't find 939 systems and a 939 mobo
dont cost that much (60?) which is small compared to the
150 or much more I would have to pay for a 939 system.
It's annoying though, I am gonna take a look on ebay.

or

Dr Nick

check out www.cyberpower.com my current computer was from there, they have
some cheap systems. could also try getting one from www.newegg.com or
www.tigerdirect.com

"Tad Confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mIB_f.17117$(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> at a reasonable price and the ones I can find are almost certaintly 745
> versions.
> (it seems impossible to find out untill you have bought the machine).
>
> The situation I seem to be in is that I will have to pay an extra 150 for
> the athlon64 with a 200gig drive and 256 graphics as opposed to
> a semperon with an 80gig drive and 64meg graphics.
> I estimate the 200gig drive is worth 30 more so that leaves 120
> for the graphics (which I aint to bothered about) and the AMD64
> which is actually 745 anyway, so if I am buying an unupgradable
> system I might as well get the cheaper won (400 v 550).
> The main problem is I can't find 939 systems and a 939 mobo
> dont cost that much (60?) which is small compared to the
> 150 or much more I would have to pay for a 939 system.
> It's annoying though, I am gonna take a look on ebay.

Gary Hendricks

Hi there

With regards to your questions, here are my opinions.

1) Those 'card reader thingys' are easier to get. You can just buy one
and attach it to a USB port. No worries.

2) Is the semperon 64 bit?
The Sempron is the newest low-end CPU which effectively replaces the
AMD Duron. It is a direct competitor to the Intel Celeron D. This chip
was released in 2005 and is extremely popular today.

3) Yes, my opinion is to get the AMD64 machine. Why because its an
investment in the future. I doubt a Sempron is going to last you very
long.

If you want to learn more, then check out this guide:

http://www.build-your-own-computers....cpu-chips.html

Best Regards
Gary Hendricks
http://www.build-your-own-computers.com

Tad Confused

"Gary Hendricks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi there
>
> With regards to your questions, here are my opinions.
>
> 1) Those 'card reader thingys' are easier to get. You can just buy one
> and attach it to a USB port. No worries.
>
> 2) Is the semperon 64 bit?
> The Sempron is the newest low-end CPU which effectively replaces the
> AMD Duron. It is a direct competitor to the Intel Celeron D. This chip
> was released in 2005 and is extremely popular today.

It can be 64 bit depending on the model although it is hard
to know what you are buying if it just says semperon (
not semperon64) I doubt the info on the box in most
stores will be of help.

> 3) Yes, my opinion is to get the AMD64 machine. Why because its an
> investment in the future. I doubt a Sempron is going to last you very
> long.

Not if it is a 745? (not 939) socket it isn't, you might as well get the
Semp in my opinon its a lot cheaper, and just as fast for most things
I believe. OK if it is 939 thouogh that has more future).

> If you want to learn more, then check out this guide:
>
> http://www.build-your-own-computers....cpu-chips.html

Thanks, although it could perhaps be in more depth.

deal or no deal rbt Python 7 12-28-2005 08:57 PM
Cisco VPN on linux 2.6.8/AMD64 Peter Ensch Cisco 1 03-11-2005 10:07 PM
Is AMD64 an untouchable @ DELL ? codefixer@gmail.com C++ 6 02-27-2005 03:53 PM
AMD XP 3000+ or AMD64 *** JB Computer Support 12 08-18-2004 03:57 AM
AMD64 target Ilya C++ 4 01-29-2004 05:37 PM

Advertisments