Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX on a Stick?

PIX on a Stick?

Wil

So I need a ton of DMZ ports all of a sudden. I know that the PIX
supports VLAN's, and I also know that the PIX will not route out of the
same interface that the packet comes in on. So, if I create say 5 VLAN's
(non-routable on the switch) and trunk it to the firewall will I be able
to create rules to allow traffic to the different VLAN's?

Example, I have VLAN 10,11,12 on the switch with no IP addresses. I
create logical interfaces on the PIX as everyone's gateway. Rules
permitting, can I allow a computer in VLAN 10 to talk to a computer in
VLAN 11?

Thanks!

--
Wil
my 3

Wil

Okay, so some reading proved that this can be done... Now, since I need
more bandwidth of course, how about aggrigating PIX ports?

A two GigE trunk would be nice, never heard of one on a PIX though...

Wil
my 3

Wil wrote:
> So I need a ton of DMZ ports all of a sudden. I know that the PIX
> supports VLAN's, and I also know that the PIX will not route out of the
> same interface that the packet comes in on. So, if I create say 5 VLAN's
> (non-routable on the switch) and trunk it to the firewall will I be able
> to create rules to allow traffic to the different VLAN's?
>
> Example, I have VLAN 10,11,12 on the switch with no IP addresses. I
> create logical interfaces on the PIX as everyone's gateway. Rules
> permitting, can I allow a computer in VLAN 10 to talk to a computer in
> VLAN 11?
>
> Thanks!

Martin Bilgrav

GE is only supported pn PIX525 and higher

"Wil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QACGe.6394$p%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, so some reading proved that this can be done... Now, since I need
> more bandwidth of course, how about aggrigating PIX ports?
>
> A two GigE trunk would be nice, never heard of one on a PIX though...
>
> Wil
> my 3
>
> Wil wrote:
> > So I need a ton of DMZ ports all of a sudden. I know that the PIX
> > supports VLAN's, and I also know that the PIX will not route out of the
> > same interface that the packet comes in on. So, if I create say 5 VLAN's
> > (non-routable on the switch) and trunk it to the firewall will I be able
> > to create rules to allow traffic to the different VLAN's?
> >
> > Example, I have VLAN 10,11,12 on the switch with no IP addresses. I
> > create logical interfaces on the PIX as everyone's gateway. Rules
> > permitting, can I allow a computer in VLAN 10 to talk to a computer in
> > VLAN 11?
> >
> > Thanks!

Walter Roberson

In article <oeuHe.63081$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Martin Bilgrav <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:GE is only supported pn PIX525 and higher

Correct. Some people have reported that you can get a single GE to
work in a PIX 515/515E.
--
"[...] it's all part of one's right to be publicly stupid." -- Dave Smey

Martin Bilgrav

"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message news:dclsc4

> Correct. Some people have reported that you can get a single GE to
> work in a PIX 515/515E.

ok - didnot know this...
But still, considering the throughput performance on 515e, this can really
be an option, also considering it is unsupported from Cisco's side.

rgds
Martin