Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Question about RAM on Toshiba Notebook

Question about RAM on Toshiba Notebook

Alex Clayton

Just bought a new PC for the wife. It came with 256 RAM, I figured no big
deal I would just buy her a 512 module and drop it in. Then the fun started.
I am a real amateur at PC's, but have added RAM to a couple other laptops no
problem. The trouble here is trying to find exactly which one to buy. The PC
came from Office Depot. When I check the Toshiba site it does not exist.
When I call them I get a couple people who can almost speak English, and act
like they have no idea what RAM is, but want me to place an order for it,
even though they seem to have no idea what I am asking for.
The info on the PC says:
PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM
When I look on line, I am finding 240 Pin,and 200 Pin modules for this. I
sure do not want to get the wrong one and then try to return it. The model
on the PC is M55-S1001. The "Quick guide" In the box is for models M155-S139
and so forth. I think this is one of those deals where Toshiba made this
just for Office Depot, but since the "help line" at Toshiba goes to people
who can't speak English it's hard to be sure. So Does anyone here know if
the 200Pin PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM is the right one for her's? It looks like it
is, but I was hoping maybe someone here would know for sure before I buy
one. Thanks.
The E-Mail address here is a good one if you want to answer of list.
Thanks.

bmoag

Your computer says it uses 4200 DDR SODIM modules.
This is a no-brainer because all portables that can add memory use SODIM
modules.
The catch is: does your portable have an available slot to add more memory?
Do you know how to access it?

Alex Clayton

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eJ_Yf.66960$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Your computer says it uses 4200 DDR SODIM modules.
> This is a no-brainer because all portables that can add memory use SODIM
> modules.
> The catch is: does your portable have an available slot to add more
> memory? Do you know how to access it?

Yes it has 2 slots just like the one I'm using, the specs are the same, if
you use 2 they have to have the same clock speed and bla bla bla. The only
problem I am seeing is I see 240 Pin and 200 pin. I would assume that there
is a difference between a 4200 DDR2 SRAM 240 pin, and a 200 Pin? Or is that
supposed to be a no brainier? Are you trying to say all the Modules are the
same no matter what they say? The plan is to just take out the 256 replace
it with a 512. The only thing I do not want is to buy a module that does not
work, and deal with trying to take it back. Looking at the pictures of them
it looks like the 200 Pin is it as it looks just like the 256 that's in
there. The 240 Pin does not look like it. If I can't find anyone here who
knows any more about this than I do I will just take the one in there to a
couple stores I guess and the tech people there should know I guess. Was
just hoping someone else knew for sure.