Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Formatting Hard Drive in Compaq

Formatting Hard Drive in Compaq

Rick Williams

My neighbor is putting her old compaq on the street and she's asked me to
clean the hard drive.

Can anyone give me instructions on what to do?

I simply want to format C. But I don't know how to do that in Compaq. I
own a Dell and tap the f8 key (I believe).

Thanks in advance.

Pen

"Rick Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:whjTf.19995$4%(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com...
> My neighbor is putting her old compaq on the street and she's asked me to
> clean the hard drive.
>
> Can anyone give me instructions on what to do?
>
> I simply want to format C. But I don't know how to do that in Compaq. I
> own a Dell and tap the f8 key (I believe).
>
> Thanks in advance.

Since you don't know how to do it on a Dell either, I suggest you
go here and read check out the custom XP fresh install boot disk.
Read the readme file first.

http://www.bootdisk.com/popfiles.htm

Bobby

Hi, Rick!

Find and download gdisk.exe. Once downloaded run this command:
"gdisk 1 /diskwipe /dod" This totally wipes out any data 7 times, per
DOD standards. If you are planning on putting your old Compaq on the
street, please contact me and I will pay for shipping. I need some
more parts. I will take it off your hands, destroy any data it has
(That's what I do) and recycle the machine.

Good Luck!

Bobby

bambam

"Rick Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:whjTf.19995$4%(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com:

> My neighbor is putting her old compaq on the street and she's asked me
> to clean the hard drive.
>
> Can anyone give me instructions on what to do?
>
> I simply want to format C. But I don't know how to do that in Compaq.
> I own a Dell and tap the f8 key (I believe).

Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot floppy that
securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically
and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect,
which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data
destruction.

http://dban.sourceforge.net/