Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Registry and Scandisk Problem with Win95

Registry and Scandisk Problem with Win95

Edge

This is an old computer I am trying to milk along until I get a new one
in about a month. I noticed the c: drive free space reduced 100MB. I
ran chkdsk and got a message that I should run scandisk to increase
free space. I tried running scandisk, but it locks up the the screen
and keyboard. c/temp and c/window/temp and cookies files have been
deleted. I then tried to run scandisk in safemode but I got a message
that I should restore the registry before safemode finished booting. I
restore the registry but still can't run scandisk. I'm running Win95A,
AVG AV, Adaware 6 (no later ver compatible) and Spybot 1.2 (no later
ver compatable). What should I try next?

Sjouke Burry

Edge wrote:
> This is an old computer I am trying to milk along until I get a new one
> in about a month. I noticed the c: drive free space reduced 100MB. I
> ran chkdsk and got a message that I should run scandisk to increase
> free space. I tried running scandisk, but it locks up the the screen
> and keyboard. c/temp and c/window/temp and cookies files have been
> deleted. I then tried to run scandisk in safemode but I got a message
> that I should restore the registry before safemode finished booting. I
> restore the registry but still can't run scandisk. I'm running Win95A,
> AVG AV, Adaware 6 (no later ver compatible) and Spybot 1.2 (no later
> ver compatable). What should I try next?

See if you can get ccleaner for 95, its very
nice for cleaning out all the dustbins on your disk.

Brian

Can you save the important information and reformat the system? You may find
there are programs on the disk that you really dont need or use, that would
free up some space. Sometimes reformatting can feel like spring cleaning and
makes the computer run so much better. You also may try to upgrade to win98.
Check E-bay, they're selling fairly cheap these days. This would make more
applications available, better driver compatibility and 98 was much more
stable than 95A, even 95B would be an improvement, but if you do upgrade you
might as well go 98. Windows Me is even better but I don't know your system
and it may not be a better upgrade, speed-wise. That would be the route I
would take. Registry problems in 95A usually eventually lead to
format/reload.
If you decide to reload 95A, its easier if you copy the files from the win9x
directory to the newly formatted hdd and run setup from there, it goes
faster and you dont have to load the CD drivers each boot, just direct the
setup program to the directory you put the cab files in. Also make sure you
have the updates for USB (if applicable) and PIIX drivers, 95A did not
support them correctly. Check the Microsoft Knowledgebase for info KB177981,
KB258773

Plato

Edge wrote:

> This is an old computer I am trying to milk along until I get a new one
> in about a month. I noticed the c: drive free space reduced 100MB. I

Uninstall all the programs you are not using. Delete all the temp/tmp
files and all the Internet cache files.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Edge

Unfortunately I can't reformat the disk on this machine and reinstall
the OS. I did uninstall unused programs, ran ccleaner, deleted c temp,
c windows/temp and moved the internet cache files to the other
partition on the primary drive. This did help for a few days. The
main problem is the swap file has increased to 160 MB on the primary
drive. This system has two hard drives. The primary drive is split
into partions where I keep OS related programs and files. The secondary
drive is for data. Should I try a another registry tool?