Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > NT and XP

NT and XP

Uplink

I have Windows NT Workstation 3.51 and want to install it on my new
desktop from Dell that has Windows XP Home SP2. (I think that's NT 5.1
or 5.2). I just want to know if it will support my NTFS partition and
80GB hard drive size as I know Windows 95 and 98 didn't support it.

So,

1. Does it support NTFS, if so, how big can the hard drive be?

2. Do I have to create a NTFS partition that is say, 10GB?

3. When starting, there is the Dell screen with the F12 key that has a
one time boot menu. It's normally on C:, so If I want NT I just go to
say, E: in the F12 menu. Also, is there a way XP can be my deafault OS
as other people use my computer.

-UPLINK, uplink.vze.com soon to come!

Uplink

Oops, I just saw what NT 3.51 looks like and it's awful. I don't really
want Win 3x on my computer.

Change all of "3.51" to "4.0"

Also, will ME work with NTFS?

Duane Arnold

Uplink wrote:
> I have Windows NT Workstation 3.51 and want to install it on my new
> desktop from Dell that has Windows XP Home SP2. (I think that's NT 5.1
> or 5.2). I just want to know if it will support my NTFS partition and
> 80GB hard drive size as I know Windows 95 and 98 didn't support it.
>
> So,
>
> 1. Does it support NTFS, if so, how big can the hard drive be?

NTFS means NT File System which operates on the NT based O/S. I don't
recall what the drive size can be. But since NT is a server based O/S
too, I would suspect disk size can be in big gigs

> 2. Do I have to create a NTFS partition that is say, 10GB?

It should support FAT32 and NTFS take your choice.

> 3. When starting, there is the Dell screen with the F12 key that has a
> one time boot menu. It's normally on C:, so If I want NT I just go to
> say, E: in the F12 menu. Also, is there a way XP can be my deafault OS
> as other people use my computer.

I would suspect it would be like any other NT based O/S that was
installed where as two NT O/S(s) on the machine like Win 2k and XP and
the O/S gives you the option to select which O/S you would like to
boot-up into W2k or XP.

Duane

Duane Arnold

Uplink wrote:
> Oops, I just saw what NT 3.51 looks like and it's awful. I don't really
> want Win 3x on my computer.
>
> Change all of "3.51" to "4.0"
>

> Also, will ME work with NTFS?

You can reset assured that ME will have no problems accessing an NT
based O/S like Win NT 3.51, 4.0, 2K, XP, or 2K3 that's using NTFS in a
networking situation.

Duane

Uplink

So does NT have to be on a different NTFS partition?

And ME will work with NTFS? Will it work with 80GB and does it have to
be on a different partition

Because I either can get ME or NT. I have to know which will work

Also, I don't want it to ask me for which os when I start up, my Dell
has a option to press F12 and then I can select a partition. (Options
are, Deafault partition (C, Bootable partition C:, utilites
partition) Can it be set to boot XP normally

bmoag

You do not seem to understand NT. This is a difficult and very limited OS to
work with. I know because I am forced to use it as the operating system for
a dedicated computer driven appliance.
You also do not seem to understand much about multi-boot systems,
partitioning and the way boot sectors work.
Why don't you add Windows 64 and OS2 to the mix and create a new world's
record for a computer that runs some of the worst operating systems ever
created?
If you insist on trying this bizarre scheme do yoursefl a BIG favor and get
a shrink wrapped partitioning and multi-boot program.
Make sure you read and understand the instruction manual thoroughly.
And if you manage to get the thing up and running make sure you back up any
files you need before the thing goes up in a blue screen flame out.

Duane Arnold

Uplink wrote:
> So does NT have to be on a different NTFS partition?
>
> And ME will work with NTFS? Will it work with 80GB and does it have to
> be on a different partition

The partition if NTFS for NT 4.0 should be able to deal with an 80 gig
HD with no problems but you'll have to check using Google. NT is a
server O/S too and think it can work with that much HD on workstation
version.

> Because I either can get ME or NT. I have to know which will work

Go with NT 4.0 as it's much more stable than ME will ever be.

> Also, I don't want it to ask me for which os when I start up, my Dell
> has a option to press F12 and then I can select a partition. (Options
> are, Deafault partition (C, Bootable partition C:, utilites
> partition) Can it be set to boot XP normally

You may be able to bypass it. I don't know. But during the install of a
NT based
O/S on the same drive that will have two partitions with O/S(s), it's
for sure going to make you select one. However, you can make it boot on
the first one as the default in the list if you don't make selection in
the boot selection O/S menu. You can also set a timer through the NT O/S
as to how long it waits before it takes the default. You can also change
the boot list order by editing the Boot.ini file, which is a hidden file
as I recall. It might be able to let you control that too through the
O/S. I know Win 2k and up you can do that.

Duane

Uplink

OK, I'm going with NT 4.0.

Uplink

Actually, I'm to put NT on my laptop. It has Ubuntu, Win XP Home. It
also has the bootloader GRUB on the first partition. Will GRUB
automatilly detect Windows NT, or will I have to install Ubuntu last
that installs GRUB?

Duane Arnold

Uplink wrote:
> Actually, I'm to put NT on my laptop. It has Ubuntu, Win XP Home. It
> also has the bootloader GRUB on the first partition. Will GRUB
> automatilly detect Windows NT, or will I have to install Ubuntu last
> that installs GRUB?

I guess you're talking Linux stuff now and I have no idea. Linux runs on
a separate machine in my usage of it. I don't like to dual boot anything
as it usually comes up to bite you one way or the other in the long run
IMHO.

Duane