Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Start up

Start up

Bob Rabbone

How do I get windows xp to start up with a file of my choice for example every time that I start the computer it will start with Internet explorer if I choice too Thank you

itemyar

Have you tried putting IE in your Start up folder? (Start/All
Programs/Startup)

"Bob Rabbone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
How do I get windows xp to start up with a file of my choice for example
every time that I start the computer it will start with Internet explorer if
I choice too Thank you

Bob

itemyar wrote:
> Have you tried putting IE in your Start up folder? (Start/All
> Programs/Startup)

Related question: How do you drop items out of your startup folder so
that the computer boots up faster?

Bob S.

itemyar

If the item is in the Startup folder that we're talking about (Start/All
Programs/Startup) you can just right-click on it and choose 'Delete'.

There are lots of other things that automatically start when Windows boots
that don't show up in the Startup folder though. You can customize your
Startup by doing this: Start/Run, then type in msconfig, this will bring up
a screen with a bunch of tabs, click on the Startup tab and you'll see what
Windows loads when you boot your computer. If you don't want a particular
item to start automatically, just clear the check mark and click on Apply,
or OK, then restart your computer. Be careful though, make sure you know
what it is that you're disabling. Generally, I only use this as a
troubleshooting tool, if I think something running in the background is
giving me a problem, I'll try to find it by creating a 'Selective Startup
Sequence'. If you mess something up, just run "msconfig" again and put back
the check mark.

Caution: the Startup tab in this splash screen is the only one I would mess
with, changing stuff in the other tabs might cause you grief.

Hope this helps!

> Related question: How do you drop items out of your startup folder so
> that the computer boots up faster?
>
> Bob S.

Bob

itemyar wrote:
> If the item is in the Startup folder that we're talking about (Start/All
> Programs/Startup) you can just right-click on it and choose 'Delete'.
>
> There are lots of other things that automatically start when Windows boots
> that don't show up in the Startup folder though. You can customize your
> Startup by doing this: Start/Run, then type in msconfig, this will bring up
> a screen with a bunch of tabs, click on the Startup tab and you'll see what
> Windows loads when you boot your computer. If you don't want a particular
> item to start automatically, just clear the check mark and click on Apply,
> or OK, then restart your computer. Be careful though, make sure you know
> what it is that you're disabling. Generally, I only use this as a
> troubleshooting tool, if I think something running in the background is
> giving me a problem, I'll try to find it by creating a 'Selective Startup
> Sequence'. If you mess something up, just run "msconfig" again and put back
> the check mark.
>
> Caution: the Startup tab in this splash screen is the only one I would mess
> with, changing stuff in the other tabs might cause you grief.
>
> Hope this helps!

Thanks. I unchecked some of HP's game loading. Boots a little faster
now.

Bob S.

itemyar

If you never use these applications, you might want to consider uninstalling
them via "add/remove programs" in "Control Panel" if they show up in the
list?
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...