Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Start>run

Start>run

Dave C.

I recently read about a tool called System File Checker and can be run by
"start>run> scf /scannnow" and it will check system files and dll's and
repair where necessary.

Anyone use this with any success?

Also, are there other tools (or a listing of) that can run with Start>run
that are available that seem not to be readily documented?

--
Dave C.

Eli Coten

Dave C. wrote:
> I recently read about a tool called System File Checker and can be run by
> "start>run> scf /scannnow" and it will check system files and dll's and
> repair where necessary.
>
> Anyone use this with any success?
>
> Also, are there other tools (or a listing of) that can run with Start>run
> that are available that seem not to be readily documented?

Yes it checks the integrity of your Windows files - what do you want it for?

Eli

Dave C.

Thanks, Eli, I do not need it, but after reading about it in a short
newspaper article, I thought I'd put it aside in my arsenal in the unlikely
event that I might need it....and I am not sure if I would need it at all.
There may be other ways to fix things. I will not run it....who knows if
there are any side reactions.

--
Dave C.

"Eli Coten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave C. wrote:
>> I recently read about a tool called System File Checker and can be run by
>> "start>run> scf /scannnow" and it will check system files and dll's and
>> repair where necessary.
>>
>> Anyone use this with any success?
>>
>> Also, are there other tools (or a listing of) that can run with Start>run
>> that are available that seem not to be readily documented?
>>

> Yes it checks the integrity of your Windows files - what do you want it
> for?
>
> Eli

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Angie

when I put in

scf /scannnow

it says it is not a valid command, or cannot be found

k35454

"Angie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsg3Rf.2602$(E-Mail Removed)...
when I put in

scf /scannnow

it says it is not a valid command, or cannot be found

2 problems: (1) should it be scf as above, or sfc which is a valid command.
(2) I tried it both ways on W98SE, not valid.
k35454.

Dave C.

My typo error, should be sfc /scannow with a space between the sfc and /.
(SFC = System File Checker)

The article speaks only in terms of XP so it might be specific to XP (or
maybe NT too).

Quoting a sentence; "When SFC runs on some computers, a dialog box appears
and asks you insert the Windows XP CD-ROM, the original XP disc."

I have the article scanned (gif) and can sent it to anyone who sends me
their email address.
--
Dave C.

"k35454" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RD4Rf.12969$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Angie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsg3Rf.2602$(E-Mail Removed)...
> when I put in
>
> scf /scannnow
>
> it says it is not a valid command, or cannot be found
>
> 2 problems: (1) should it be scf as above, or sfc which is a valid
> command.
> (2) I tried it both ways on W98SE, not valid.
> k35454.

Dave C.

Oh yes, you will need to post your address here in the news group. My
address is not valid.
--
Dave C.

"Dave C." <myaddress.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My typo error, should be sfc /scannow with a space between the sfc and /.
> (SFC = System File Checker)
>
> The article speaks only in terms of XP so it might be specific to XP (or
> maybe NT too).
>
> Quoting a sentence; "When SFC runs on some computers, a dialog box
> appears and asks you insert the Windows XP CD-ROM, the original XP disc."
>
> I have the article scanned (gif) and can sent it to anyone who sends me
> their email address.
> --
> Dave C.
>
> "k35454" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RD4Rf.12969$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Angie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> newsg3Rf.2602$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> when I put in
>>
>> scf /scannnow
>>
>> it says it is not a valid command, or cannot be found
>>
>> 2 problems: (1) should it be scf as above, or sfc which is a valid
>> command.
>> (2) I tried it both ways on W98SE, not valid.
>> k35454.

Eli Coten

k35454 wrote:
> "Angie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsg3Rf.2602$(E-Mail Removed)...
> when I put in
>
> scf /scannnow
>
> it says it is not a valid command, or cannot be found
>
> 2 problems: (1) should it be scf as above, or sfc which is a valid command.
> (2) I tried it both ways on W98SE, not valid.
> k35454.

Windows 98SE has a similar tool and whilst my earlier directions were
intended at Windows 2000/XP/2003, if do on a Windows 98 Machine - start,
run "sfc" then you will find something similar that appears to do the
same job

Hope this helps,
Eli

k35454

k35454 wrote:
> "Angie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsg3Rf.2602$(E-Mail Removed)...
> when I put in
>
> scf /scannnow
>
> it says it is not a valid command, or cannot be found
>
> 2 problems: (1) should it be scf as above, or sfc which is a valid

command.
> (2) I tried it both ways on W98SE, not valid.
> k35454.

Windows 98SE has a similar tool and whilst my earlier directions were
intended at Windows 2000/XP/2003, if do on a Windows 98 Machine - start,
run "sfc" then you will find something similar that appears to do the
same job
... NOTE: I have run sfc many times ok, it is the sfc /scannow
that I queried. Thanks. k35454.
Hope this helps,
Eli

News==----