Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > ftp folders

ftp folders

Uplink

i am using a ftp server that has folders that have spaces.

I am only going to use the ftp command in CMD and not a client. I log
on then there is a file with a space. Like Important Files. I type "cd
Important Files" and it says "There is no folder named Important". It
only gets the first name. Is there a way to get it to go to a folder
with spaces?

-travis

JD

Uplink wrote:
> i am using a ftp server that has folders that have spaces.
>
> I am only going to use the ftp command in CMD and not a client. I log
> on then there is a file with a space. Like Important Files. I type "cd
> Important Files" and it says "There is no folder named Important". It
> only gets the first name. Is there a way to get it to go to a folder
> with spaces?
>
> -travis

try cd 'Important Files', cd "Important Files", cd Important\ Files/
Assuming its a UNIX like environment.

JD

Brian

use the first 6 letters of the file then ~1 (~ is a tilde located above the
far left key below the ESC key) This works for command line entry because it
can only interpret 8 characters. If you have more than one folder with the
same first 6 characters the next one would be ~2, etc.

Oldus Fartus

Uplink wrote:
> i am using a ftp server that has folders that have spaces.
>
> I am only going to use the ftp command in CMD and not a client. I log
> on then there is a file with a space. Like Important Files. I type "cd
> Important Files" and it says "There is no folder named Important". It
> only gets the first name. Is there a way to get it to go to a folder
> with spaces?
>
> -travis

Are you using CMD or COMMAND. With XP, and using CMD you should be
able to type (without quotes) "CD important files" to get you to the
correct directory.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

JEMebius

I never tried; but try and replace blanks by %20.
This is the standard hex representation of the blank used in directory
and file names under MS Explorer and WWW browsers.

Johan E. Mebius