Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Capturing TV on HD and burning to a DVD

Capturing TV on HD and burning to a DVD

Fred Miller

I want to start capturing video from my cable system and recording it on my
HD and then burning them to DVDs but I am overwhelmed by the variety and
differences on video capture cards. I have available unused PCI slots on my
computer P-IV with a 160 GB HD. I welcome suggestions regarding how to
choose a video capture card and any necessary software.TIA

Michael-NC

"Fred Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8fgQf.67287$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I want to start capturing video from my cable system and recording it on my
> HD and then burning them to DVDs but I am overwhelmed by the variety and
> differences on video capture cards. I have available unused PCI slots on
> my
> computer P-IV with a 160 GB HD. I welcome suggestions regarding how to
> choose a video capture card and any necessary software.TIA

I use Snapstream Beyond TV 4.0 with a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500 MCE PCI card.
It's a dual tuner card so one can watch one channel and record another at
the same time. Single tuner cards limit you to watch only one channel while
recording it. It captures in several different formants, DVD quality being
one option and you can burn to disc after you record. IMO, this is a better
solution than Win XP Media Center software that is full of DRM limits and
restrictions.

The snapstream forums are here:
http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/index.php