Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > XP PRO on networks

XP PRO on networks

JW

We just upgraded two of the computers on our network to XP-pro and have been
experiencing a myriad of problems getting printers and some of the older
programs to work. One program locks up every night forcing us to reboot....
and we've found that to be a very long process. I've now been told by
several (at different companies) that it's just how it is when you run
XP-pro on a network (because of checking all the security setting in Service
Pak 2?) - is there anything that might speed it up (it takes so long, you
think it's locked up again).

Thanks for any tips!

Duane Arnold

JW wrote:
> We just upgraded two of the computers on our network to XP-pro and have been
> experiencing a myriad of problems getting printers and some of the older
> programs to work. One program locks up every night forcing us to reboot....
> and we've found that to be a very long process. I've now been told by
> several (at different companies) that it's just how it is when you run
> XP-pro on a network (because of checking all the security setting in Service
> Pak 2?)

That's BS as I have written and run programs that have run for hours,
days, weeks at a time on XP pro on a LAN.

- is there anything that might speed it up (it takes so long, you
> think it's locked up again).

What kind of application is it? What resouces is it using database etc,
etc?

Maybe, it' just the way it is with that program.

Maybe, the program is not a program that runs well on a NT based O/S machine
due to it being poorly written.

What was it running on before it was moved to XP?

Maybe, it's not compatiable to run on a XP Pro O/S if this
is and older application that's been around for awhile.

Maybe, the machine is not powerful enough to run XP pro and this
program/application.

Duane

Plato

JW wrote:

> We just upgraded two of the computers on our network to XP-pro and have been
> experiencing a myriad of problems getting printers and some of the older
> programs to work. One program locks up every night forcing us to reboot....

One may need updated drivers for your new OS.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

JW

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:440a5aae$1$12060$(E-Mail Removed)...
> JW wrote:
>>
>> We just upgraded two of the computers on our network to XP-pro and have
>> been
>> experiencing a myriad of problems getting printers and some of the older
>> programs to work. One program locks up every night forcing us to
>> reboot....

> One may need updated drivers for your new OS.
>
>> and we've found that to be a very long process. I've now been told by
>> several (at different companies) that it's just how it is when you run
>> XP-pro on a network (because of checking all the security setting in
>> Service
>> Pak 2?) - is there anything that might speed it up (it takes so long, you
>> think it's locked up again).

I worded that poorly - we upgraded the equipment on our network ... by
replacing two older computers with new Dells that have XP-pro operating
systems. We are running the same programs we had on Windows 98 - one is an
old (First choice) DB we're able to access on the new computers, but not
print out of (using network printers).

Thanks

Duane Arnold

JW wrote:
> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> news:440a5aae$1$12060$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>JW wrote:
>>
>>>We just upgraded two of the computers on our network to XP-pro and have
>>>been
>>>experiencing a myriad of problems getting printers and some of the older
>>>programs to work. One program locks up every night forcing us to
>>>reboot....

>>One may need updated drivers for your new OS.
>>

>>>and we've found that to be a very long process. I've now been told by
>>>several (at different companies) that it's just how it is when you run
>>>XP-pro on a network (because of checking all the security setting in
>>>Service
>>>Pak 2?) - is there anything that might speed it up (it takes so long, you
>>>think it's locked up again).

> I worded that poorly - we upgraded the equipment on our network ... by
> replacing two older computers with new Dells that have XP-pro operating
> systems. We are running the same programs we had on Windows 98 - one is an
> old (First choice) DB we're able to access on the new computers, but not
> print out of (using network printers).
>
> Thanks

Something running on Win 9'x and then moved over to the NT based O/S may
be and does look to be a problem. Is the program even a NT based
compatible program? You may think that may not come into play but
sometimes it does come into play.

Duane

Oldus Fartus

JW wrote:
> "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
> news:440a5aae$1$12060$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> JW wrote:
>>> We just upgraded two of the computers on our network to XP-pro and have
>>> been
>>> experiencing a myriad of problems getting printers and some of the older
>>> programs to work. One program locks up every night forcing us to
>>> reboot....

>> One may need updated drivers for your new OS.
>>
>>> and we've found that to be a very long process. I've now been told by
>>> several (at different companies) that it's just how it is when you run
>>> XP-pro on a network (because of checking all the security setting in
>>> Service
>>> Pak 2?) - is there anything that might speed it up (it takes so long, you
>>> think it's locked up again).

> I worded that poorly - we upgraded the equipment on our network ... by
> replacing two older computers with new Dells that have XP-pro operating
> systems. We are running the same programs we had on Windows 98 - one is an
> old (First choice) DB we're able to access on the new computers, but not
> print out of (using network printers).

Are you able to access your network printers from the new computers?

PFS First Choice is an extremely old program now, and it could be time
to look at upgrading to something else (perhaps Open Office for
example?) If First Choice will allow you to save your database in
dBase, or CSV formats, then conversion will be easy.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus