Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > problem with Registry Mechanic

problem with Registry Mechanic

thedarkman

I ran Registry Mechanic earlier today; I've had no problems before with
the scan but the compact your registry feature appears to have screwed
up my system.

When I start the machine up it goes into Microsoft Registry, identifies
a problem, says it will fix it after I reboot then when I do it goes
into a cycle.

I did this about eight times before I managed to get the machine booted
up. Now I daren't switch it off; any idea how I can by-pass this?

bigjon

On 1 Mar 2006 17:23:00 -0800, thedarkman wrote:

> I ran Registry Mechanic earlier today; I've had no problems before with
> the scan but the compact your registry feature appears to have screwed
> up my system.
>
> When I start the machine up it goes into Microsoft Registry, identifies
> a problem, says it will fix it after I reboot then when I do it goes
> into a cycle.
>
> I did this about eight times before I managed to get the machine booted
> up. Now I daren't switch it off; any idea how I can by-pass this?

restore the backup registry entries from reg mechanics options ?
--
(\__/)

Plato

thedarkman wrote:

> I ran Registry Mechanic earlier today; I've had no problems before with
> the scan but the compact your registry feature appears to have screwed
> up my system.

Never compact your registry on an XP pc.

> When I start the machine up it goes into Microsoft Registry, identifies
> a problem, says it will fix it after I reboot then when I do it goes
> into a cycle.
>
> I did this about eight times before I managed to get the machine booted
> up. Now I daren't switch it off; any idea how I can by-pass this?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

thedarkman

I'm using Windows 98 with DOS 4.01. The point is that when I turn on
the machine it goes into registry mechanic, checks it, then goes into a
loop. I really need to be able to turn the damned thing off. How do I
go about this?

I managed to get back into the machine but it took me literally hours,
and I can't afford this again. Isn't there something about pressing F1
and going into set up? Tried that but it's all Greek to me.

old jon

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:44068dea$0$33453$(E-Mail Removed)...
> thedarkman wrote:
>>
>> I ran Registry Mechanic earlier today; I've had no problems before with
>> the scan but the compact your registry feature appears to have screwed
>> up my system.

> Never compact your registry on an XP pc.

But he`s running Win98 <g>.

>> When I start the machine up it goes into Microsoft Registry, identifies
>> a problem, says it will fix it after I reboot then when I do it goes
>> into a cycle.
>>
>> I did this about eight times before I managed to get the machine booted
>> up. Now I daren't switch it off; any idea how I can by-pass this?

> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

Meat Plow

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:23:00 -0800, thedarkman wrote:

> I ran Registry Mechanic earlier today; I've had no problems before with
> the scan but the compact your registry feature appears to have screwed
> up my system.
>
> When I start the machine up it goes into Microsoft Registry, identifies
> a problem, says it will fix it after I reboot then when I do it goes
> into a cycle.
>
> I did this about eight times before I managed to get the machine booted
> up. Now I daren't switch it off; any idea how I can by-pass this?

Reset Optimization (roll back changes to the registry)

thedarkman

Hi, re my posts concerning this problem, I received some advice
including

Reset Optimization (roll back changes to the registry)

The problem is that when I switch on the machine goes into this program
at once. I managed to get on-line this morning in about an hour more by
good chance than skill but what I would like to do is turn this program
off. Can I do this safely, and how can I do it?

I have found a file called C:\windows\command\scanreg.exe

This is also in my autoexec.bat; can I remove this from autoexec.bat
safely? Can I delete the actual file?

Finally, how can I reset optimization (roll back changes to the
registry)? although I'm not sure this will do any good.

Thanks

Dude

"thedarkman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Hi, re my posts concerning this problem, I received some advice
> including
>
> Reset Optimization (roll back changes to the registry)
>

> The problem is that when I switch on the machine goes into this program
> at once. I managed to get on-line this morning in about an hour more by
> good chance than skill but what I would like to do is turn this program
> off. Can I do this safely, and how can I do it?

start/run/msconfig/startup/
unclick all the boxes that pertain to registry mechanic. the pc will than
tell you you have to reboot. Reboot, and just after the bios screen comes
up, keep pressing F8 key. Pc should than give you options. Choose safe
mode. once it's booted up in safe mode, run msconfig again to make sure
registry mechanic is shut off. You can also safely remove registry mechanic
in safe mode.

> I have found a file called C:\windows\command\scanreg.exe
>
> This is also in my autoexec.bat; can I remove this from autoexec.bat
> safely? Can I delete the actual file?
>
> Finally, how can I reset optimization (roll back changes to the
> registry)? although I'm not sure this will do any good.
>
> Thanks

Trax

"thedarkman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Hi, re my posts concerning this problem, I received some advice
|>including
|>
|>Reset Optimization (roll back changes to the registry)
|>

|>The problem is that when I switch on the machine goes into this program
|>at once. I managed to get on-line this morning in about an hour more by
|>good chance than skill but what I would like to do is turn this program
|>off. Can I do this safely, and how can I do it?
|>
|>I have found a file called C:\windows\command\scanreg.exe
|>
|>This is also in my autoexec.bat; can I remove this from autoexec.bat
|>safely? Can I delete the actual file?

You can edit the autoexec.bat to disable without removing the command
with a REM - incase you might want to use the command in the future.
REM C:\windows\command\scanreg.exe

You could rename the file, can't be found, can't be run.

--
gnomeslair.blogspot.com/2006/02/our-freshly-hand-picked-free-games.html