Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > CPU question

CPU question

zeunerts77@yahoo.se

Hi,

I have a cpu that should be running at about 2Mhz speed, but it shows
only around 1 Mhz when I run a system test. I know something has to be
changed in BIOS but I am not sure how to do it. Anyone who please could
help me??
Thanks.

/Z.

Chet

I hope you mean GHz. I haven't seen a 1 MHz cpu since the mid sixties.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a cpu that should be running at about 2Mhz speed, but it shows
> only around 1 Mhz when I run a system test. I know something has to be
> changed in BIOS but I am not sure how to do it. Anyone who please could
> help me??
> Thanks.
>
> /Z.

Plato

> I have a cpu that should be running at about 2Mhz speed, but it shows
> only around 1 Mhz when I run a system test. I know something has to be
> changed in BIOS but I am not sure how to do it. Anyone who please could
> help me??
> Thanks.

What exact CPU is it? If you say, somebody will be most likely to tell
you how to set it up in the bios.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

zeunerts77@yahoo.se

Sorry, meant GHZ of course...

The cpu is a AMD Athlon 2600+.

/Z.

Plato skrev:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >
> > I have a cpu that should be running at about 2Mhz speed, but it shows
> > only around 1 Mhz when I run a system test. I know something has to be
> > changed in BIOS but I am not sure how to do it. Anyone who please could
> > help me??
> > Thanks.

> What exact CPU is it? If you say, somebody will be most likely to tell
> you how to set it up in the bios.
>
> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/

JD

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Sorry, meant GHZ of course...
>
> The cpu is a AMD Athlon 2600+.
>
> /Z.

There are different types of "AMD Athlon XP 2600+" processors depending
on the "core" Thoroughbred or Barton, one has a 266Mhz Front side Bus
and the newer ones a 333Mhz FSB.

Depending on what type you have the Settings should be

Thoroughbred
266Mhz FSB
Multiplier 8x
Correct Speed Of processor 2133Mhz (2.1Ghz)

Barton
333Mhz FSB
Multiplier 6.25
Correct Speed of processor 2083Mhz (2Ghz)

Both processors are locked, meaning you cannot change the multiplier
without "tricking" the cpu.
The simplest thing to do would be to check the multiplier in your bios
and adjust the Front Side Bus accordingly (FSB)

I say newer, but the socket A is now obsolete.

JD