Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > WinXP starts to load, but then restarts continuously.

WinXP starts to load, but then restarts continuously.

JTJersey

My WinXP (HomeEdition w/SP2) system wouldn't wake up this morning. I
rebooted, but whenever it gets to the Windows Logo screen after about 4
seconds it reboots. I ran the Recovery Console from the install CD and
tried extracting a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file as recommended by
Microsoft, but Recovery Console only reports "The path or file name is not
valid." Running the dir command at the C prompt results in this message:
"an error occurred during directory enumeration." Any ideas as to where
my Windows went and how I can get it back?

--
Registered Linux User #267152

bambam

JTJersey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> My WinXP (HomeEdition w/SP2) system wouldn't wake up this morning. I
> rebooted, but whenever it gets to the Windows Logo screen after about
> 4 seconds it reboots. I ran the Recovery Console from the install CD
> and tried extracting a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file as
> recommended by Microsoft, but Recovery Console only reports "The path
> or file name is not valid." Running the dir command at the C prompt
> results in this message: "an error occurred during directory
> enumeration." Any ideas as to where my Windows went and how I can get
> it back?

Being a Linux guy, what happens when you boot with a live CD? Can you see
your files?

JTJersey

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 23:55:49 +0000, bambam wrote:

> JTJersey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> My WinXP (HomeEdition w/SP2) system wouldn't wake up this morning. I
>> rebooted, but whenever it gets to the Windows Logo screen after about
>> 4 seconds it reboots. I ran the Recovery Console from the install CD
>> and tried extracting a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file as
>> recommended by Microsoft, but Recovery Console only reports "The path
>> or file name is not valid." Running the dir command at the C prompt
>> results in this message: "an error occurred during directory
>> enumeration." Any ideas as to where my Windows went and how I can get
>> it back?

> Being a Linux guy, what happens when you boot with a live CD? Can you see
> your files?

Well, it's not a dual boot system so I don't know if running a live
linux CD would give me access or not. What I did do that got something
moving was run chksdk with the /p option from the Recovery Console. That
at least got me into Safe Mode. Ran my virus scanner, which came up
clean, and snatched some files I hadn't backed up yesterday. Rebooted
into Recovery Console and it showed my C:\Windows folder. Relief! Ran the
Repair Installation option from the XP CD and Windows is back up. I've
got a little trouble with ZoneAlarm validation, but everything else is
there. I'm still trying to figure out what happened. Thanks for the
reply.

--
Registered Linux User #267152

bambam

JTJersey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

>> Being a Linux guy, what happens when you boot with a live CD? Can you
>> see your files?

> Well, it's not a dual boot system so I don't know if running a live
> linux CD would give me access or not. What I did do that got
> something moving was run chksdk with the /p option from the Recovery
> Console. That at least got me into Safe Mode. Ran my virus scanner,
> which came up clean, and snatched some files I hadn't backed up
> yesterday. Rebooted into Recovery Console and it showed my C:\Windows
> folder. Relief! Ran the Repair Installation option from the XP CD and
> Windows is back up. I've got a little trouble with ZoneAlarm
> validation, but everything else is there. I'm still trying to figure
> out what happened. Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you have got it all under control.
Next time you have some spare time I highly recommend downloading a Knoppix
CD and having a play-

http://www.knoppix.org/

Bloody good for helping with all sorts of problems-

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/knoppix/index.htm
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux...pix_rescue.htm
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Rescue_FAQ

Then if you have even more time you might like to have a look at the
"Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" -

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

You basically end up with a boot CD with Windows XP on it. You can browse
your hard drive, browse the net, scan for viruses, run AdAware, etc etc,
all from a CD.
There is a bit involved in building it, but it is well worth the trouble.

me

"JTJersey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 23:55:49 +0000, bambam wrote:
>
>> JTJersey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> My WinXP (HomeEdition w/SP2) system wouldn't wake up this morning. I
>>> rebooted, but whenever it gets to the Windows Logo screen after about
>>> 4 seconds it reboots. I ran the Recovery Console from the install CD
>>> and tried extracting a new copy of the Kernel32.dll file as
>>> recommended by Microsoft, but Recovery Console only reports "The path
>>> or file name is not valid." Running the dir command at the C prompt
>>> results in this message: "an error occurred during directory
>>> enumeration." Any ideas as to where my Windows went and how I can get
>>> it back?

>> Being a Linux guy, what happens when you boot with a live CD? Can you see
>> your files?

> Well, it's not a dual boot system so I don't know if running a live
> linux CD would give me access or not. What I did do that got something
> moving was run chksdk with the /p option from the Recovery Console. That
> at least got me into Safe Mode. Ran my virus scanner, which came up
> clean, and snatched some files I hadn't backed up yesterday. Rebooted
> into Recovery Console and it showed my C:\Windows folder. Relief! Ran the
> Repair Installation option from the XP CD and Windows is back up. I've
> got a little trouble with ZoneAlarm validation, but everything else is
> there. I'm still trying to figure out what happened. Thanks for the
> reply.

ok. first off.

a linux livecd doesnt need the pc to be dual-boot. only to boot off cd.

you pop it in and everything runs straight from the cd not the hard disk.

in normal cases it will allow you to browse and change a hard disks
contents.

if it doesnt allow some kind of access then the drive may be dead.

linux live cd's can be good tools for recovering files from drives that dont
boot in windows.