Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Hard drive grunts/noises

Hard drive grunts/noises

itemyar

I have an older Dell Dimension with a SCSI hard drive and I just installed a
PCI buss USB/Firewire card, and since then, my hard drive seems to always be
doing something; what I mean is, every ten seconds or so, I hear a short
burst of activity like there's something running in the background, maybe
some kind of monitoring thingy?? Anybody have any ideas what might be
causing these obnoxious noises?

Thanks all!

Ray

Robert Baer

itemyar wrote:

> I have an older Dell Dimension with a SCSI hard drive and I just installed a
> PCI buss USB/Firewire card, and since then, my hard drive seems to always be
> doing something; what I mean is, every ten seconds or so, I hear a short
> burst of activity like there's something running in the background, maybe
> some kind of monitoring thingy?? Anybody have any ideas what might be
> causing these obnoxious noises?
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Ray

What software did you install and/or what virii do you now have?

itemyar

The only software I installed was the driver for the card! I used the "Add
New Hardware" in "Control panel", then I inserted the CD that came with the
card when I was prompted to do this! I'm using Norton Antivirus software!

Thanks for your reply!

news:lMAJf.2784$(E-Mail Removed) .net...

itemyar wrote:

> The only software I installed was the driver for the card! I used the "Add
> New Hardware" in "Control panel", then I inserted the CD that came with the
> card when I was prompted to do this! I'm using Norton Antivirus software!
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>

> "Robert Baer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:lMAJf.2784$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
>
>>itemyar wrote:
>>

>>>I have an older Dell Dimension with a SCSI hard drive and I just
>>>installed a PCI buss USB/Firewire card, and since then, my hard drive
>>>seems to always be doing something; what I mean is, every ten seconds or
>>>so, I hear a short burst of activity like there's something running in
>>>the background, maybe some kind of monitoring thingy?? Anybody have any
>>>ideas what might be causing these obnoxious noises?
>>>
>>>Thanks all!
>>>
>>>Ray

>> What software did you install and/or what virii do you now have?

Try disabling NAV.

itemyar

Thanks again, I'll try disabling NAV to see if the noise stops; if it does,
'least then I'll know what's causing it, but I can put up with the
aggravating little noises rather than being unprotected, if you know what I
mean? I'll report back and let you know if it made any difference.