Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Unable to Access HDD After Floppy Boot

Unable to Access HDD After Floppy Boot

CMM

Hi,

Created a boot disk in Windows (Format --> Create an MS-DOS startup
disk). When I use it to boot the system, I cannot access my HDD
(invalid drive specification).

The HDD is fine and is not SCSI or USB. Any thoughts on what's going
on?

Computer: HP Compaq dc7100 CMT
OS: Windows XP Pro

-- Christian

Oldus Fartus

CMM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Created a boot disk in Windows (Format --> Create an MS-DOS startup
> disk). When I use it to boot the system, I cannot access my HDD
> (invalid drive specification).
>
> The HDD is fine and is not SCSI or USB. Any thoughts on what's going
> on?
>
> Computer: HP Compaq dc7100 CMT
> OS: Windows XP Pro

If your system hard drive is formatted NTFS, your DOS bootdisk will be
unable to read it.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Plato

CMM wrote:

> Created a boot disk in Windows (Format --> Create an MS-DOS startup
> disk). When I use it to boot the system, I cannot access my HDD
> (invalid drive specification).
>
> The HDD is fine and is not SCSI or USB. Any thoughts on what's going
> on?

If your drive is in ntfs, then XP has no tool to create a bootdisk that
can see your drive.

There is a free bootdisk/driver you can get however, that will see your
NTFS drive:

http://www.bootdisk.com/ntfs.htm

CMM

Thanks, guys. I'm sure that is the problem. I'll try the link Plato
suggested.

-- Christian