Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > new pc without OS

new pc without OS

spike

I've bought a new pc but it comes without OS.
I have a legit XP, never used, that I'm going to put on but I've never
installed a OS from scratch before, just upgraded.
Is it going to be obvious what I do when I put the cd in?

Jollyrodgers

"spike" <djhatukpcdotnet> wrote in message
news:43eee969$0$3597$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've bought a new pc but it comes without OS.
> I have a legit XP, never used, that I'm going to put on but I've never
> installed a OS from scratch before, just upgraded.
> Is it going to be obvious what I do when I put the cd in?

Very.......
As long your PC is set to boot from CD rom.

Robert Baer

spike wrote:
> I've bought a new pc but it comes without OS.
> I have a legit XP, never used, that I'm going to put on but I've never
> installed a OS from scratch before, just upgraded.
> Is it going to be obvious what I do when I put the cd in?

You will have to change your BIOS settings.
I always enable the floppy and have it as a boot device, for our dear
friend Justin Case.
BIOS boot order: Floppy, CD, IDE0 ("IDE zero").

VanShania

Put your Os disk in first, go into bios and change your boot to CDROM then
exit and save. You will be asked to hit a key to boot from cdrom. do this
and away you go. At the first reboot, go into bios again and change your
boot to HDD 0. For me I disable all boots from floppy or cdrom for faster
boot. I even disable the floppy seek. I haven't used a floppy for 2 years.
Although I may use it for bios flash if needed.
Once your Os is installed, the proper order to load everything is :

Windows updates(I just stick with my OS. SP2 is too buggy)
motherboard drivers
Direct X 9c
then vidcard drivers and soundcard drivers( no particular order that Ive
seen but I like to load my vidcard drivers first)
After installing my vidcard drivers, I like to reinstall direct X, uninstall
and reinstall my vidcard drivers as I noticed better performance. ATI
recommends installing there drivers overtop the direct x.
--
XP2600@171 fsb@1.65Volts
PC3200 Samsung 512mb, SB Live OEM

Overall Score-2066, cpu_score-2926
in 3DMark2005 basic 1078X768, No AA

"spike" <djhatukpcdotnet> wrote in message
news:43eee969$0$3597$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've bought a new pc but it comes without OS.
> I have a legit XP, never used, that I'm going to put on but I've never
> installed a OS from scratch before, just upgraded.
> Is it going to be obvious what I do when I put the cd in?

VanShania

And make sure you format using the NTFS. Do a proper format, not the quick
format.