Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > printer/scanner combo

printer/scanner combo

Bolshoy Huy

I am looking for a high quality printer/scanner combo.
I've got lots of old family photos that I am interested
in scanning and retouching.
I want to make large prints also; not poster size, but bigger than 4x6.

Should I get seperate scanner & printer?

Considering the costs of ink, paper, printout quality, is it better to
make prints at a lab than at home?

The few prints I've made at the lab seem to have jegged edges and
pixels on curves.
I mean straight lines such as - _ L T come out fine, but Q O 8 \
definitely look like that old Asteroids game, or the games on the
Atari2600.

SeaKan

i just got the HP 2575. Installed on my pc fine. hasn't slowed down the
computer, works great. a little loud. but for 159, i can't complain. i
can complain about the ink prices I will pay, but then again, that goes with
the territory.

"Bolshoy Huy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> I am looking for a high quality printer/scanner combo.
> I've got lots of old family photos that I am interested
> in scanning and retouching.
> I want to make large prints also; not poster size, but bigger than 4x6.
>

> Should I get seperate scanner & printer?
>
> Considering the costs of ink, paper, printout quality, is it better to
> make prints at a lab than at home?
>
> The few prints I've made at the lab seem to have jegged edges and
> pixels on curves.
> I mean straight lines such as - _ L T come out fine, but Q O 8 \
> definitely look like that old Asteroids game, or the games on the
> Atari2600.

JANA

If you want to be best off, get separates. I have not seen the ideal combo
type unit yet. As for anything else, the higher the quality, the more you
will pay.

If you want the best quality for picture reproduction, have the photos
scanned on a drum scanner, and have them write them to disk. When at home,
you can edit them how you want. Take back the edited copies on a CD disk,
and have them do a high quality laser photo-print.

There is no way at home that you would have the budget to buy high and
scanning equipment as like the pros use. There is no comparison from the
ones that you buy in the local consumer shops for only a number of hundreds
of dollars.

Professional scanning and printing is also not very expensive when you
consider the quality that you can have.

--

JANA
_____