Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Can I create a network without a hub/switch or router? I mean, 3 PC and 3 net cards.

Can I create a network without a hub/switch or router? I mean, 3 PC and 3 net cards.

Starriol

The situation is this: I have a PC with cable modem connected via a
long inverted or crossed over, I don't know how this UTP cable layout
is called, it's when both endings are different and you use them to
connect 2 PC. Anyway, this cable goes to my moms PC and she enjoys
Internet thanks to my connection.

I'm going to add a 3rd, slower computer, to use as a always on server,
so the cable modem is going there, as is the other network card in
which the modem connects.
So my question is, if I add a 3rd network card to this server PC, can I
use 2 inverted cables to connect to the other 2 clients PC?
The server is gonna be windows 98 SE, one PC is win 98 SE too and mine,
the best, is XP. I do this because I don't wanna keep mine always on,
so please, don't try to convince me to use the best as a server... ITS
A NOOO

The idea behind this is to save me from paying the HUB.
Please, don't tell me they are not THAT expensive. I rather save the
money for something else.
Any ideas about how to do this, greatly appreciated.

nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about 7 Feb 2006 20:00:25 -0800, in
alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Starriol" <(E-Mail Removed)>
spewed the following:

|The situation is this: I have a PC with cable modem connected via a
|long inverted or crossed over, I don't know how this UTP cable layout
|is called, it's when both endings are different and you use them to
|connect 2 PC. Anyway, this cable goes to my moms PC and she enjoys
|Internet thanks to my connection.
|
|I'm going to add a 3rd, slower computer, to use as a always on server,
|so the cable modem is going there, as is the other network card in
|which the modem connects.
|So my question is, if I add a 3rd network card to this server PC, can I
|use 2 inverted cables to connect to the other 2 clients PC?
|The server is gonna be windows 98 SE, one PC is win 98 SE too and mine,
|the best, is XP. I do this because I don't wanna keep mine always on,
|so please, don't try to convince me to use the best as a server... ITS
|A NOOO
|
|The idea behind this is to save me from paying the HUB.
|Please, don't tell me they are not THAT expensive. I rather save the
|money for something else.
|Any ideas about how to do this, greatly appreciated.

Sure, you can. Three nics and crossover cables will work. You already
know how to set up the network. No problem.
--

-nos1eep