Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Access Denied Problem

Access Denied Problem

Cheri Bogowitz

I removed a HD from a dead computer and encased it as an external drive. I
get "access denied" message when I want to open the "My Documents" of the
old drive. How can I overcome this problem. The "My Documents" file there
has hundreds of photo's in it.
Any help appreciated,
Cheri

GreenieLeBrun

Cheri Bogowitz wrote:
> I removed a HD from a dead computer and encased it as an external drive. I
> get "access denied" message when I want to open the "My Documents" of the
> old drive. How can I overcome this problem. The "My Documents" file there
> has hundreds of photo's in it.
> Any help appreciated,
> Cheri

Have a look at:-
http://support.microsoft.com/default...308421&sd=tech

JD

GreenieLeBrun wrote:
> Cheri Bogowitz wrote:
>
>>I removed a HD from a dead computer and encased it as an external drive. I
>>get "access denied" message when I want to open the "My Documents" of the
>>old drive. How can I overcome this problem. The "My Documents" file there
>>has hundreds of photo's in it.
>>Any help appreciated,
>>Cheri

> Have a look at:-
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...308421&sd=tech

or you could simply convert the external drive to Fat32 as the fat file
system does not contain any ownership bits, this would be a better file
system for an external drive anyway.

you can use program such as Symantec/Norton Partition Magic (you only
need the rescue floppy's) or you can use windows XP's convert command,
from the command line type "convert c: /FS:FAT32" REPLACE c: with the
external drive name.

JD

Oldus Fartus

JD wrote:
> GreenieLeBrun wrote:
>> Cheri Bogowitz wrote:
>>
>>> I removed a HD from a dead computer and encased it as an external
>>> drive. I
>>> get "access denied" message when I want to open the "My Documents" of
>>> the
>>> old drive. How can I overcome this problem. The "My Documents" file
>>> there
>>> has hundreds of photo's in it.
>>> Any help appreciated,
>>> Cheri

>> Have a look at:-
>> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...308421&sd=tech
>>

> or you could simply convert the external drive to Fat32 as the fat file
> system does not contain any ownership bits, this would be a better file
> system for an external drive anyway.
>
> you can use program such as Symantec/Norton Partition Magic (you only
> need the rescue floppy's) or you can use windows XP's convert command,
> from the command line type "convert c: /FS:FAT32" REPLACE c: with the
> external drive name.

Convert will only convert FAT/FAT32 to NTFS, not the other way See

Cheers
Oldus Fartus

JD

Oldus Fartus wrote:

> Convert will only convert FAT/FAT32 to NTFS, not the other way See

Thanks for that I assumed you could select the file system with the /FS:
switch, my mistake, wonder why they even put that switch there ?

JD