Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows Firewall Error 999?

Windows Firewall Error 999?

Shima

I repair computers on my university's campus, and have a customer who
is getting Error 999 when we try to enable her firewall. I tried to
manually start the Firewall service and that gives me the same error.
Her computer is running fine aside from that, and she has Antivirus
protection on it as well, we just can't get the firewall to enable. Any
ideas? We're running full system scans with both Symantec Antivirus
Corporate Edition 10 as well as McAffee's Stinger later today, but I'm
not so certain it's a virus issue as nothing else is acting up.

Erick

"Shima" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I repair computers on my university's campus, and have a customer who
> is getting Error 999 when we try to enable her firewall. I tried to
> manually start the Firewall service and that gives me the same error.
> Her computer is running fine aside from that, and she has Antivirus
> protection on it as well, we just can't get the firewall to enable. Any
> ideas? We're running full system scans with both Symantec Antivirus
> Corporate Edition 10 as well as McAffee's Stinger later today, but I'm
> not so certain it's a virus issue as nothing else is acting up.

Check the Registry. Search for FirewallEnable and delete the keys. I've had
to do this in the past. Usually caused by some piece of malware, especially
things like SpyAxe/SpySherrif and related crap.