Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Looking for input on Reformat Checklist

Looking for input on Reformat Checklist

JM

What is your method for backing up information prior to a hard drive
reformat? What if someone brought you their computer and it had been
decimated by viruses and other malware, and a reformat seemed the best
option? Of course you would want as much input as possible from the
computer owner (important information, location of files/folders,
preferences, network settings, etc), but perhaps much of the responsibility
of backing up the right stuff falls on you, as a computer power user. What
are all the things we need to think about?

Some obvious things that come to mind for me:

Documents
Images
Music
Video
Bookmarks/Favorites
Email
Network settings (VPNs, wireless, fixed IPs, etc)
Saved Games
Preferences of specific programs

I know there are many more considerations, and that's why I'm asking.
Perhaps we can come up with a comprehensive checklist that we can all use.

Thank you,

JM

JD

JM wrote:
> What is your method for backing up information prior to a hard drive
> reformat? What if someone brought you their computer and it had been
> decimated by viruses and other malware, and a reformat seemed the best
> option? Of course you would want as much input as possible from the
> computer owner (important information, location of files/folders,
> preferences, network settings, etc), but perhaps much of the responsibility
> of backing up the right stuff falls on you, as a computer power user. What
> are all the things we need to think about?
>
> Some obvious things that come to mind for me:
>
> Documents
> Images
> Music
> Video
> Bookmarks/Favorites
> Email
> Network settings (VPNs, wireless, fixed IPs, etc)
> Saved Games
> Preferences of specific programs
>
> I know there are many more considerations, and that's why I'm asking.
> Perhaps we can come up with a comprehensive checklist that we can all use.
>
> Thank you,
>
> JM

When I'm working on someone else computer, the first thing I do is to
make a complete image of the hard drive, which I store on a local file
server.
If anything does go wrong at the least they get there computer back the
way it was given to me.

some of the programs I use are:
Ghost
(http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoff...t10/index.html)
the rescue disks are much more useful than the actual windows executable.

True-Image
(http://www.acronis.com/promo/ATI/tru...FS68EAodp1HYjA)

and my 3rd option a Linux live CD, and do a disk dump over the network
to the file server (dd if=/dev/hda | ssh http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
/usr/bin/dd of=/directory/image.img) its best to pipe in some sort of
compression between the dump I prefer 7z (LZMA (www.7-zip.org))

JD

JD

JD wrote:
> JM wrote:
>
>> What is your method for backing up information prior to a hard drive
>> reformat? What if someone brought you their computer and it had been
>> decimated by viruses and other malware, and a reformat seemed the best
>> option? Of course you would want as much input as possible from the
>> computer owner (important information, location of files/folders,
>> preferences, network settings, etc), but perhaps much of the
>> responsibility of backing up the right stuff falls on you, as a
>> computer power user. What are all the things we need to think about?
>>
>> Some obvious things that come to mind for me:
>>
>> Documents
>> Images
>> Music
>> Video
>> Bookmarks/Favorites
>> Email
>> Network settings (VPNs, wireless, fixed IPs, etc)
>> Saved Games
>> Preferences of specific programs
>>
>> I know there are many more considerations, and that's why I'm asking.
>> Perhaps we can come up with a comprehensive checklist that we can all
>> use.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> JM

> When I'm working on someone else computer, the first thing I do is to
> make a complete image of the hard drive, which I store on a local file
> server.
> If anything does go wrong at the least they get there computer back the
> way it was given to me.
>
> some of the programs I use are:
> Ghost
> (http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoff...t10/index.html)
> the rescue disks are much more useful than the actual windows executable.
>
> True-Image
> (http://www.acronis.com/promo/ATI/tru...FS68EAodp1HYjA)
>

> and my 3rd option a Linux live CD, and do a disk dump over the network
> to the file server (dd if=/dev/hda | ssh (E-Mail Removed)
> /usr/bin/dd of=/directory/image.img) its best to pipe in some sort of
> compression between the dump I prefer 7z (LZMA (www.7-zip.org))
>
> JD

And if you do forget to back something up you can take it off of the image.

I think what you have is sufficient:

>> Documents
>> Images
>> Music
>> Video
>> Bookmarks/Favorites
>> Email
>> Network settings (VPNs, wireless, fixed IPs, etc)
>> Saved Games
>> Preferences of specific programs

as it should be the end users job to back up anything they want to keep.

JD

bambam

"JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:UCZAf.31774$(E-Mail Removed):

> What is your method for backing up information prior to a hard drive
> reformat? What if someone brought you their computer and it had been
> decimated by viruses and other malware, and a reformat seemed the best
> option? Of course you would want as much input as possible from the
> computer owner (important information, location of files/folders,
> preferences, network settings, etc), but perhaps much of the
> responsibility of backing up the right stuff falls on you, as a
> computer power user. What are all the things we need to think about?
>
> Some obvious things that come to mind for me:
>
> Documents
> Images
> Music
> Video
> Bookmarks/Favorites
> Email
> Network settings (VPNs, wireless, fixed IPs, etc)
> Saved Games
> Preferences of specific programs
>
> I know there are many more considerations, and that's why I'm asking.
> Perhaps we can come up with a comprehensive checklist that we can all
> use.

Drivers?
I like the following program, free and easy-

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/200...ES.php#0845-PW

Product Key

Please review and comment the audit checklist for a firewall Doug Fox Computer Security 5 11-28-2005 07:48 PM
how can i insert <br> between the items in the checkList ? roni ASP .Net 2 07-17-2005 10:13 AM
tix checklist nidhi Python 0 07-17-2004 10:35 AM
Openmore checklist sean VHDL 2 01-11-2004 10:30 PM
Networking checklist for XP Slamadatan Computer Support 7 08-04-2003 07:02 PM

Advertisments