Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > trojan problem

trojan problem

dennis meissner

Hi All...
I'm having a problem dealing with a file that has a trojan. The trojan is
"trojan agent.amv" as is defined by TrendMicro. The infected file is
xod.dll in the c:\windows\system32 directory.

I followed TrendMicro's instructions to unregister the dll and I get 'access
denied'. I can unregister the dll in safe mode but when trying to remove
the file I'm getting that the file is used by another user or program.

Just can't seem to get a rid of this blasted thing.

Any ideas?

tia
Dennis

mark mandel

"dennis meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:78WAf.253$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All...
> I'm having a problem dealing with a file that has a trojan. The trojan is
> "trojan agent.amv" as is defined by TrendMicro. The infected file is
> xod.dll in the c:\windows\system32 directory.
>
> I followed TrendMicro's instructions to unregister the dll and I get

'access
> denied'. I can unregister the dll in safe mode but when trying to remove
> the file I'm getting that the file is used by another user or program.
>
> Just can't seem to get a rid of this blasted thing.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> tia
> Dennis

Using the Recovery Console feature for XP, you could then use the DEL
command for that .dll. Failing that, you could locate it in the Registry
and try deleting it but be certain to back up the Registry first.

Erick

Also, keep in mind a lot of trojans these days create more than one copy of
itself. I had to deal with one that simply reversed it's original filename
(instead of being nv456.dll it created a backup called 654vn.lld).

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsWWAf.1910$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> "dennis meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:78WAf.253$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi All...
>> I'm having a problem dealing with a file that has a trojan. The trojan
>> is
>> "trojan agent.amv" as is defined by TrendMicro. The infected file is
>> xod.dll in the c:\windows\system32 directory.
>>
>> I followed TrendMicro's instructions to unregister the dll and I get

> 'access
>> denied'. I can unregister the dll in safe mode but when trying to remove
>> the file I'm getting that the file is used by another user or program.
>>
>> Just can't seem to get a rid of this blasted thing.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> tia
>> Dennis

> Using the Recovery Console feature for XP, you could then use the DEL
> command for that .dll. Failing that, you could locate it in the Registry
> and try deleting it but be certain to back up the Registry first.

dennis meissner

"mark mandel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsWWAf.1910$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> "dennis meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:78WAf.253$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi All...
>> I'm having a problem dealing with a file that has a trojan. The trojan
>> is
>> "trojan agent.amv" as is defined by TrendMicro. The infected file is
>> xod.dll in the c:\windows\system32 directory.
>>
>> I followed TrendMicro's instructions to unregister the dll and I get

> 'access
>> denied'. I can unregister the dll in safe mode but when trying to remove
>> the file I'm getting that the file is used by another user or program.
>>
>> Just can't seem to get a rid of this blasted thing.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> tia
>> Dennis

> Using the Recovery Console feature for XP, you could then use the DEL
> command for that .dll. Failing that, you could locate it in the Registry
> and try deleting it but be certain to back up the Registry first.

Mark,
Thanks that fixed it!

Dennis

dennis meissner