Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > constantly lose internet connection?

constantly lose internet connection?

Cory

I'm running Windows XP Pro, version 2002, Service pack 2. I have an Intel
1000 Mhz CPU, Intel D815EEA motherboard, 320 MB of RAM. I have installed
both the onboard ethernet drivers, plus the drivers for my NIC card (Realtek
RTL8139/810x). They both have problems with losing the network connection.
I run a DSL modem into a wireless router (I have the computer hooked up to a
wired port however). I have an D-link wired router that I used in the past
(the system loses the internet connection too.)

I constantly have to restart the entire machine to get my internet
connection back up... any ideas? I have tried to "repair" the connection
too (right click on each network connection and select "repair")... no
dice... Anyone?

Howie

Erick

Since you've used different LAN adapters I doubt that's the problem, unless
the machine has taken some surges recently. The most likely culprit would be
the actual DSL line or modem. Other possible causes are the router itself or
some sort of trojan or malware on the computer.

"Cory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I'm running Windows XP Pro, version 2002, Service pack 2. I have an Intel
1000 Mhz CPU, Intel D815EEA motherboard, 320 MB of RAM. I have installed
both the onboard ethernet drivers, plus the drivers for my NIC card (Realtek
RTL8139/810x). They both have problems with losing the network connection.
I run a DSL modem into a wireless router (I have the computer hooked up to a
wired port however). I have an D-link wired router that I used in the past
(the system loses the internet connection too.)

I constantly have to restart the entire machine to get my internet
connection back up... any ideas? I have tried to "repair" the connection
too (right click on each network connection and select "repair")... no
dice... Anyone?

Howie

Duane Arnold

"Cory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running Windows XP Pro, version 2002, Service pack 2. I have an Intel
> 1000 Mhz CPU, Intel D815EEA motherboard, 320 MB of RAM. I have installed
> both the onboard ethernet drivers, plus the drivers for my NIC card
> (Realtek RTL8139/810x). They both have problems with losing the network
> connection. I run a DSL modem into a wireless router (I have the computer
> hooked up to a wired port however). I have an D-link wired router that I
> used in the past (the system loses the internet connection too.)
>
> I constantly have to restart the entire machine to get my internet
> connection back up... any ideas? I have tried to "repair" the connection
> too (right click on each network connection and select "repair")... no
> dice... Anyone?

It could just be your connection to the ISP. Have you had your ISP check the
line? Have you tried just connecting a computer to the modem to see if it
looses connection to the Internet?

Duane

Cory

I'll by-pass the router and see what it does.. any other ideas?

news:4lEyf.3055$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

> "Cory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm running Windows XP Pro, version 2002, Service pack 2. I have an
>> Intel 1000 Mhz CPU, Intel D815EEA motherboard, 320 MB of RAM. I have
>> installed both the onboard ethernet drivers, plus the drivers for my NIC
>> card (Realtek RTL8139/810x). They both have problems with losing the
>> network connection. I run a DSL modem into a wireless router (I have the
>> computer hooked up to a wired port however). I have an D-link wired
>> router that I used in the past (the system loses the internet connection
>> too.)
>>
>> I constantly have to restart the entire machine to get my internet
>> connection back up... any ideas? I have tried to "repair" the connection
>> too (right click on each network connection and select "repair")... no
>> dice... Anyone?
>>

> It could just be your connection to the ISP. Have you had your ISP check
> the line? Have you tried just connecting a computer to the modem to see if
> it looses connection to the Internet?
>
> Duane

Cory

I don't think it's malware, or a trojan... it could be but I run Ad-aware SE
(updated) consistently... any other ideas?

"Erick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:63Eyf.14894$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since you've used different LAN adapters I doubt that's the problem,
> unless
> the machine has taken some surges recently. The most likely culprit would
> be
> the actual DSL line or modem. Other possible causes are the router itself
> or
> some sort of trojan or malware on the computer.
>

> "Cory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running Windows XP Pro, version 2002, Service pack 2. I have an Intel
> 1000 Mhz CPU, Intel D815EEA motherboard, 320 MB of RAM. I have installed
> both the onboard ethernet drivers, plus the drivers for my NIC card
> (Realtek
> RTL8139/810x). They both have problems with losing the network
> connection.
> I run a DSL modem into a wireless router (I have the computer hooked up to
> wired port however). I have an D-link wired router that I used in the
> past
> (the system loses the internet connection too.)
>
> I constantly have to restart the entire machine to get my internet
> connection back up... any ideas? I have tried to "repair" the connection
> too (right click on each network connection and select "repair")... no
> dice... Anyone?
>
> Howie

JD

Erick wrote:
> Since you've used different LAN adapters I doubt that's the problem, unless
> the machine has taken some surges recently. The most likely culprit would be
> the actual DSL line or modem. Other possible causes are the router itself or
> some sort of trojan or malware on the computer.

This sounds like the probable cause to me also.
I used to have a Netgear DG814 xDSL Router, which was notorious for this
problem, it was the router.

You should also upgrade to the latest firmware. (http://support.dlink.com/)

Erick

Ad-Aware SE by itself is not enough, as it does miss a lot. I run a
combination of Ad-Aware, SpyBot S&D and Spyware Blaster, as well as
anti-virus, etc. However, I'd still look at the router and/or actual line
coming into your home as the primary culprit.