Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Home newtork/printer sharing. Woe is me.

Home newtork/printer sharing. Woe is me.

RSDown

I'm trying to set up a wireless network at home. So far, I
have the two computers set so I can share the internet connection and
both computers can see each other.Two problems: the laptop cannot
send or retrive files from the desktop, and I can't get the printer to
share.
The desktop can see, send, and retrieve files from the laptop.
The reverse is not true. The laptop can only see the desktop.
As for printer sharing, I can find the printer connected to
the desktop with the laptop but when I try to type in the name of the
printer, I get an error that tells me I have either misspelled it or
its just wrong. I have changed the name of the printer to be sure it's
right but same thing happens.
Both computers running XP home. Linksys router, HP laptop.
Any suggestions on what to look for in way of mistakes I may
be making would be very helpful! TIA.

Sam

Erick

First, make sure that you have setup your shared folders on each machine
properly. If you're going to be letting each machine put files onto the
other, make sure you have the option checked to allow users to change files.
Second, if either machine is running a third party firewall, you'll have to
tell it to allow the IP range 192.168.*.* for all access. You may even need
to change some settings in Windows Firewall if that's all you have on both.
Third, your router may have specific settings for home networking. Different
models have different user interfaces and options. Check the user's manual
for anything related to networking to ensure you didn't miss something.

"RSDown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Duane Arnold

"RSDown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to set up a wireless network at home. So far, I
> have the two computers set so I can share the internet connection and
> both computers can see each other.Two problems: the laptop cannot
> send or retrive files from the desktop, and I can't get the printer to
> share.
> The desktop can see, send, and retrieve files from the laptop.
> The reverse is not true. The laptop can only see the desktop.
> As for printer sharing, I can find the printer connected to
> the desktop with the laptop but when I try to type in the name of the
> printer, I get an error that tells me I have either misspelled it or
> its just wrong. I have changed the name of the printer to be sure it's
> right but same thing happens.
> Both computers running XP home. Linksys router, HP laptop.
> Any suggestions on what to look for in way of mistakes I may
> be making would be very helpful! TIA.

You should make this work in a wire situation first then try to make it work
in the wireless environment.
If you're trying to share resources on the machines, then you should use
Authenticated User Group on Shares, which means the machine with the Share
must have an user account on the machine for a user on another machine can
access the Share, which is being explained in the link below.

You should try to secure the O/S(s) as much as possible in a wireless
situation as someone can hack the wireless, join your network and be all
over the top of your machines.

You may find that it's easy to share resources by wire and not by wireless
with the current setup. I also liked to use MS Nwlink protocol on the
wireless NIC when I start having trouble doing resource sharing in a
wireless situation as that has never failed when doing resource sharing and
wireless when I my wireless days.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm
http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wire...aa112203_2.htm
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814987/en-us

Duane

Erick

He's using XP Home on both machines. Authenticated User Groups is not
available. He'd have to get XP Pro to do that, although I agree it would
make it much more trouble free.

news:T66wf.2769$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

"RSDown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to set up a wireless network at home. So far, I
> have the two computers set so I can share the internet connection and
> both computers can see each other.Two problems: the laptop cannot
> send or retrive files from the desktop, and I can't get the printer to
> share.
> The desktop can see, send, and retrieve files from the laptop.
> The reverse is not true. The laptop can only see the desktop.
> As for printer sharing, I can find the printer connected to
> the desktop with the laptop but when I try to type in the name of the
> printer, I get an error that tells me I have either misspelled it or
> its just wrong. I have changed the name of the printer to be sure it's
> right but same thing happens.
> Both computers running XP home. Linksys router, HP laptop.
> Any suggestions on what to look for in way of mistakes I may
> be making would be very helpful! TIA.

You should make this work in a wire situation first then try to make it work
in the wireless environment.
If you're trying to share resources on the machines, then you should use
Authenticated User Group on Shares, which means the machine with the Share
must have an user account on the machine for a user on another machine can
access the Share, which is being explained in the link below.

You should try to secure the O/S(s) as much as possible in a wireless
situation as someone can hack the wireless, join your network and be all
over the top of your machines.

You may find that it's easy to share resources by wire and not by wireless
with the current setup. I also liked to use MS Nwlink protocol on the
wireless NIC when I start having trouble doing resource sharing in a
wireless situation as that has never failed when doing resource sharing and
wireless when I my wireless days.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm
http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/wire...aa112203_2.htm
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814987/en-us

Duane

Duane Arnold

"Erick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ffawf.4816$(E-Mail Removed)...
> He's using XP Home on both machines. Authenticated User Groups is not
> available. He'd have to get XP Pro to do that, although I agree it would
> make it much more trouble free.

I have never used XP Home only Pro on my machines. But if I were using Home,
I think I would be able to do something similar and expose or enable the
Security Tab and delete the Everyone account and all other accounts off the
Share and then make user accounts only for those I wanted to access the
Share not leaving it open in a wire or wireless situation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...308418&sd=tech

Duane

Erick

It can be done in Safe Mode, but with XP Home defaulting only to "Simple
File Sharing" in normal mode, a lot of changes made with advanced settings
can cause serious issues.

news:O4bwf.303$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

"Erick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ffawf.4816$(E-Mail Removed)...
> He's using XP Home on both machines. Authenticated User Groups is not
> available. He'd have to get XP Pro to do that, although I agree it would
> make it much more trouble free.

I have never used XP Home only Pro on my machines. But if I were using Home,
I think I would be able to do something similar and expose or enable the
Security Tab and delete the Everyone account and all other accounts off the
Share and then make user accounts only for those I wanted to access the
Share not leaving it open in a wire or wireless situation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...308418&sd=tech

Duane

RSDown

Thanks for the suggestions and leads. As soon as I get the
chance to work on this, I'll give it another go.

Sam