Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > dell.com...charging tax now?

dell.com...charging tax now?

I am I

I've ordered 2 dell computers. I went online to research buying a third.
When the f*** did they start charging sales tax? No way I'm buying from
them now. Shipping AND tax? What's the point? I can go to bestbuy and get
a good computer for the same price and save on shipping.

Jim Berwick

"I am I" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Sk_vf.3074$(E-Mail Removed):

> I've ordered 2 dell computers. I went online to research buying a
> third. When the f*** did they start charging sales tax? No way I'm
> buying from them now. Shipping AND tax? What's the point? I can go
> to bestbuy and get a good computer for the same price and save on
> shipping.

Dell is a US company. As such, they are required to collect sales tax in
any state that they have a business presence in.

I used to buy from Newegg tax free. They purchased a distribution
warehouse in North Jersey, and I am now charged 6% sales tax on my
purchases.

If you want to hate Dell for their business practices, advertising,
anything, fine, but don't blame them for following the law.

'

I woudlnt worry guys becuase in the UK our sales tax is a lot mor
(17.5%), So get used to paying the small amount, id be happy paying 6
lol

--
Bil

*Kind Regards
*Bill

*www.ukwebmasterforums.com
Bill's Profile: http://www.ukwebmasterforums.com/member.php?userid=
View this thread: http://www.ukwebmasterforums.com/showthread.php?t=572

Steve

' ' wrote:
> I woudlnt worry guys becuase in the UK our sales tax is a lot more
> (17.5%), So get used to paying the small amount, id be happy paying 6%
> lol.

My first computer was a Fujitsu-Siemens 166MX and cost 880 in 1997.
My second computer was an Acer 2.4Athlon and cost 399 in 2002.
My third computer was a Dell 2.66Intel and cost 276 in 2005.

Surely,tax is almost irrelevant when you consider how the overall cost
of technology has plummetted in 8years.Just a thought!!

I am I

My point was that Dell used to not charge sales tax (I live in NYS). They
must have opened a store here that they didn't have the last time I bought a
computer from them 3 years ago. I can say for certain that I never paid
sales tax the last time!

> Dell is a US company. As such, they are required to collect sales tax in
> any state that they have a business presence in.
>
> I used to buy from Newegg tax free. They purchased a distribution
> warehouse in North Jersey, and I am now charged 6% sales tax on my
> purchases.
>
> If you want to hate Dell for their business practices, advertising,
> anything, fine, but don't blame them for following the law.

nos1eep

It is further alleged that on or about Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:27:38 GMT,
in alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "I am I"
<(E-Mail Removed)> spewed the following:

|My point was that Dell used to not charge sales tax (I live in NYS). They
|must have opened a store here that they didn't have the last time I bought a
|computer from them 3 years ago. I can say for certain that I never paid
|sales tax the last time!

Things change. My state has passed a law that states "Sales tax is due
on all online purchases." It is unenforcable, but the government will
find a way.

http://www.just****inggoogleit.com/

'

Steve Wrote:
> ' ' wrote
> My first computer was a Fujitsu-Siemens 166MX and cost 880 in 1997
> My second computer was an Acer 2.4Athlon and cost 399 in 2002
> My third computer was a Dell 2.66Intel and cost 276 in 2005
>
> Surely,tax is almost irrelevant when you consider how the overall cos
> of technology has plummetted in 8years.Just a thought!

No I agree, my first pc was about the same spec and age and mine wa
over 900
Ive had a few pcs over years

--
Bil

*Kind Regards
*Bill

*www.ukwebmasterforums.com
Bill's Profile: http://www.ukwebmasterforums.com/member.php?userid=
View this thread: http://www.ukwebmasterforums.com/showthread.php?t=572

Plato

Jim Berwick wrote:

> I used to buy from Newegg tax free. They purchased a distribution
> warehouse in North Jersey, and I am now charged 6% sales tax on my
> purchases.

That shipping warehouse is in Edison New Jersey. They are moving to way
larger one in South Brunswick or Monroe.

http://www.bootdisk.com/