Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Flash Memory overheating

Flash Memory overheating

chriswyatt@hotmail.co.uk

I used my iDisk Wave, which is a 1 gigabyte flash memory card on my
parent's notebook PC and transferred all my files across and almost
everything on the disk corrupted. It was in the left side of the
notebook which gets quite hot so I assumed that the device had
overheated.

I read on a website that overheating can cause write errors, corrupt
data and make parts of the memory irretrievable, seems like a likely
cause:
http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Revie...hFormat_01.htm.

I told Pretec about my problem and they suggested returning the
product, although I formatted it and am having no problems with it at
the moment but I'm keeping regular backups just in case. Neither
Pretec or technical support from the supplier made the connection that
it had overheated, I mentioned this to both of them, Pretec said it was
a hardware problem, whatever that means?

So, does anyone here have any knowledge about memory cards and
overheating and would it have done any permanent damage to my memory
card? Perhaps, possibly shortening the life of the drive.

To be safe, I'm probably going to return it but I would have liked a
more detailed response from technical support.

p.s. I kept getting a write error at a certain point on the memory, I
formatted a few times and managed to successfully write to it.

Erick

Overheating Flash memory is a sign of one or more of the chips going bad or
the port supplying too much power, both of which are hardware problems.
Flash memory should never overheat under normal situations, even while doing
a large data transfer.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
[...]

Overheating RAM? Weirdo Computer Support 9 04-29-2008 04:49 AM
P4 3GHZ OVERHEATING Michael Computer Support 9 06-19-2004 07:56 PM
overheating tomm Computer Support 9 04-22-2004 03:45 AM
PSU overheating? Anonymous Computer Support 1 12-11-2003 08:55 AM
PC Keeps Resetting = Athlon XP Overheating? John Computer Support 8 12-09-2003 01:35 AM

Advertisments