Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > floppy drive problem

floppy drive problem

mjf

My problem is that when I put a floppy in the A: drive it reads the disc
fine, but the second disc inserted reads the first discs information. When I
reboot the next disc will read fine but the next disc inserted still brings
up the first discs information. I'm running win xp business edition with 512
megs of ram and 1.3 gig pent.4. Any ideas or fixes?

Chet

You probably have developed a problem in the floppy drive. When you insert
a different disk, the drive sends a signal to the OS which should then
discard any old info about the disk in the drive. If that signal isn't
being sent, the driver and OS "think" that the old disk is still there.

It's also possible that something is wrong in the driver. You could try
removing and re-installing the driver and see if it helps.

"mjf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My problem is that when I put a floppy in the A: drive it reads the disc
> fine, but the second disc inserted reads the first discs information. When
> I reboot the next disc will read fine but the next disc inserted still
> brings up the first discs information. I'm running win xp business edition
> with 512 megs of ram and 1.3 gig pent.4. Any ideas or fixes?

(Just) Allan

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:34:00 -0500, "mjf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My problem is that when I put a floppy in the A: drive it reads the disc
>fine, but the second disc inserted reads the first discs information. When I
>reboot the next disc will read fine but the next disc inserted still brings
>up the first discs information. I'm running win xp business edition with 512
>megs of ram and 1.3 gig pent.4. Any ideas or fixes?

When you put the second disk in, and you right-click in the area of
the screen showing the files and select REFRESH, does it still do it?

Erick

That was going to be my suggestion. If you leave the window open with the
contents displayed and insert another disk, Windows has no idea that a new
disk has been put in (floppy drives don't work like CD drives).

However, if it's in the command prompt, it's definitely a problem with the
drive.

"(Just) Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:34:00 -0500, "mjf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My problem is that when I put a floppy in the A: drive it reads the disc
>fine, but the second disc inserted reads the first discs information. When
>reboot the next disc will read fine but the next disc inserted still brings
>up the first discs information. I'm running win xp business edition with
>512
>megs of ram and 1.3 gig pent.4. Any ideas or fixes?

When you put the second disk in, and you right-click in the area of
the screen showing the files and select REFRESH, does it still do it?

Robert Baer

Erick wrote:
> That was going to be my suggestion. If you leave the window open with the
> contents displayed and insert another disk, Windows has no idea that a new
> disk has been put in (floppy drives don't work like CD drives).
>
> However, if it's in the command prompt, it's definitely a problem with the
> drive.
>

> "(Just) Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:34:00 -0500, "mjf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>My problem is that when I put a floppy in the A: drive it reads the disc
>>fine, but the second disc inserted reads the first discs information. When
>>reboot the next disc will read fine but the next disc inserted still brings
>>up the first discs information. I'm running win xp business edition with
>>512
>>megs of ram and 1.3 gig pent.4. Any ideas or fixes?

> When you put the second disk in, and you right-click in the area of
> the screen showing the files and select REFRESH, does it still do it?

I am using Win98Se and it "knows" about a disk change, but that does
not mean that the floppy directory automatically gets re-read just
because of the change.
One needs to do something that causes a disk access.