Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > WinXP on StandBy

WinXP on StandBy

Dave C.

When I have my system on StandBy, does that prevent anyone from hacking on
to my system since the drives, fans, and everything seems off? The
installer said that if I have a concern, I can easily shut off the modem.

I have McAfee and high speed internet (comcast cable) running WinXp on a P4.

--
Dave C.

(E-Mail Removed)9et

Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

Duane Arnold

"Dave C." <myaddress.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> When I have my system on StandBy, does that prevent anyone from hacking on
> to my system since the drives, fans, and everything seems off? The
> installer said that if I have a concern, I can easily shut off the modem.
>
> I have McAfee and high speed internet (comcast cable) running WinXp on a
> P4.

If the computer with its O/S goes into standby mode, it's shutdown and
offline until you wake it up and login in again. I hope you're logging into
the computer again after wake-up. In addition, if the machine was behind a
cheap NAT router that cost as much as McAfee, then you can leave the machine
on 24/7 and not even going into standby mode it would be protected. There
are also personal FW(s) that will also detect the machine going into standby
mode and block all traffic until you instruct the PFW solution to allow
traffic after coming out of standby mode.

A machine with a direct connection to the Internet, computer with direct
connect to modem, should be harden to attack.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

Duane

Dave C.

newsx_tf.2252$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> "Dave C." <myaddress.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> When I have my system on StandBy, does that prevent anyone from hacking
>> on to my system since the drives, fans, and everything seems off? The
>> installer said that if I have a concern, I can easily shut off the modem.
>>
>> I have McAfee and high speed internet (comcast cable) running WinXp on a
>> P4.
>>

> If the computer with its O/S goes into standby mode, it's shutdown and
> offline until you wake it up and login in again. I hope you're logging
> into the computer again after wake-up. In addition, if the machine was
> behind a cheap NAT router that cost as much as McAfee, then you can leave
> the machine on 24/7 and not even going into standby mode it would be
> protected. There are also personal FW(s) that will also detect the machine
> going into standby mode and block all traffic until you instruct the PFW
> solution to allow traffic after coming out of standby mode.
>
> A machine with a direct connection to the Internet, computer with direct
> connect to modem, should be harden to attack.
>
> http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm
>
> Duane

Thanks, I have the Windows firewall on as well as the McAfee firewall.

Will look further to be sure.

Plato

Dave C. wrote:

> When I have my system on StandBy, does that prevent anyone from hacking on
> to my system since the drives, fans, and everything seems off? The
> installer said that if I have a concern, I can easily shut off the modem.

I have a router and Zone Alarm in. So, I have both hardware and software
firewall protection. Perhaps overkill, but I never have a problem, ever.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/