Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > New PC crashes

Reply
Thread Tools

New PC crashes

 
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2005
We have a new Dell computer that crashes every time when shutting down.Any
suggestions to resolve issue that doesn't risk creating another problem?
Thanks,
Steve


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2005

"steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dp5kma$ca7$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> We have a new Dell computer that crashes every time when shutting down.Any
> suggestions to resolve issue that doesn't risk creating another problem?


If it's a new computer and you have not put a whole lot on it that you're
concerned about, then wipe the machine out and reinstall the O/S. That would
be my simple solution.

Duane


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2005
I used "system restore" computer to original conditon but still the same.
I could return computer to Dell but it was purchased online,would have to be
boxed up,arrange a courier,time & hassle.
Thanks,anyway,
Steve

"Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ryvtf.4524$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>
> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dp5kma$ca7$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> We have a new Dell computer that crashes every time when shutting
>> down.Any suggestions to resolve issue that doesn't risk creating another
>> problem?

>
> If it's a new computer and you have not put a whole lot on it that you're
> concerned about, then wipe the machine out and reinstall the O/S. That
> would be my simple solution.
>
> Duane
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Duane Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2005

"steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dp6410$jfh$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>I used "system restore" computer to original conditon but still the same.
> I could return computer to Dell but it was purchased online,would have to
> be boxed up,arrange a courier,time & hassle.
> Thanks,anyway,
> Steve
>


I wouldn't restore anything and would simply format the HDD and lay down the
O/S fresh. The computer having some piece of it bad like the chip on the
board and the O/S not installed properly are two different things with the
O/S crashing if that's what it's doing when it's being shutdown as you
indicate.

Duane


 
Reply With Quote
 
bmoag
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2005
What do you mean "crashes"?
Blue screen of death?
Failure to shut down completely?
Certain shutdown problems are well known with XP and easily fixed.
Most likely your problems relate to programs that you are not aware of that
load automatically and stay in the background when you boot the computer.
These come preinstalled on machines from Dell, HP et al and are a curse of
the industry. Reinstalling from the restore disks just recreates the
problems.
Dell support should walk you through the solution.
If you query the knowledgebase at Microsoft you will find additional Windows
specific info about shutdown problems.


 
Reply With Quote
 
JTJersey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2005
On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:57:31 +0000, steve wrote:

> We have a new Dell computer that crashes every time when shutting down.Any
> suggestions to resolve issue that doesn't risk creating another problem?
> Thanks,
> Steve


I'd complain to the place I bought it from. Let them fix it and not ruin
your warranty.

--
Registered Linux User #267152


 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2005
The computer tries to shutdown but fails and freezes.Dell have long since
stopped sending all the disks required to reinstall XP and all the drivers
required.They ship some disks and rely on the Dell internet site to provide
the rest.Hassle! To be fair,i think the problem was caused by a USB wireless
adaptor i installed.In sorting that,maybe i've caused the shutdown problem.I
will query the Microsoft site for help.
Thanks,
Steve

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kjztf.40689$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> What do you mean "crashes"?
> Blue screen of death?
> Failure to shut down completely?
> Certain shutdown problems are well known with XP and easily fixed.
> Most likely your problems relate to programs that you are not aware of
> that load automatically and stay in the background when you boot the
> computer. These come preinstalled on machines from Dell, HP et al and are
> a curse of the industry. Reinstalling from the restore disks just
> recreates the problems.
> Dell support should walk you through the solution.
> If you query the knowledgebase at Microsoft you will find additional
> Windows specific info about shutdown problems.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2005
steve wrote:
>
> We have a new Dell computer that crashes every time when shutting down.Any
> suggestions to resolve issue that doesn't risk creating another problem?


Did it crash as soon as you got it when shutting down? If so, return it.
Or, did it start crashing after all the new crapware you may have
installed? If so, remove the crapware.


--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2006
There isn't any "crapware" on it.We opened the box,plugged it in,installed a
USB wi-fi adaptor,had hassle,sorted that out and then it wouldn't shutdown.
I won't return it for reasons already posted.


"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:43b712cd$2$11771$(E-Mail Removed)...
> steve wrote:
>>
>> We have a new Dell computer that crashes every time when shutting
>> down.Any
>> suggestions to resolve issue that doesn't risk creating another problem?

>
> Did it crash as soon as you got it when shutting down? If so, return it.
> Or, did it start crashing after all the new crapware you may have
> installed? If so, remove the crapware.
>
>
> --
> http://www.bootdisk.com/
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
cyberwraith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2006
are you running XP with Norton? The latest update to Norton causes this
problem with my computer so I rolled back to an earlier restore point and
all is well. It even stopped my e-mail, I am now waiting for a reply from
Norton to assist.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
James Gosling the Creator of EMACS and JAVA - leaves ORACLE - Butthen reports started coming in of odd failures. Systems would crashstrangely. We'd get crashes in applications. All applications. Crashes in thekernel. small Pox C Programming 2 07-22-2010 10:07 PM
Nikon Scan 4 crashes on launch on new Intel iMac capn-shanghai@comcast.net Digital Photography 5 04-08-2006 12:15 PM
new char[480000000] crashes hokus C++ 2 09-16-2005 06:37 PM
ASP.NET brand new and untouched project crashes - stupid error =?Utf-8?B?U21vb3RoY29kZXI=?= ASP .Net 4 07-18-2005 07:57 AM
new pc crashes all the time, need trouble shooting help. Diehard Computer Information 14 01-14-2004 05:57 AM



Advertisments