Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Best desktop

Best desktop

foaatfm@yahoo.com

I need to get a new desktop - I really only need it for email and some
basic word processing. I don't necessarily have a budget so I'm open
(within reason) to different prices.

I'm thinking of getting an HP or Gateway. Any opinions? I had the worst
luck with a Toshiba notebook so I'm avoiding that brand.

Also, I wanted to get a flat screen monitor - any favorites?

John

On 26 Dec 2005 20:24:25 -0800, A strange species called

>I need to get a new desktop - I really only need it for email and some
>basic word processing. I don't necessarily have a budget so I'm open
>(within reason) to different prices.
>
>I'm thinking of getting an HP or Gateway. Any opinions? I had the worst
>luck with a Toshiba notebook so I'm avoiding that brand.

Yes and take a look at IBM, Dell and Fujitsu Siemens as well.

>Also, I wanted to get a flat screen monitor - any favorites?

Hyundai, Samsung, Iiyama, Viewsonic are all making decent monitors.
Try to get a 19" LCD one with a good response rate and also look for
DVI input for better quality (you would need to have a graphics card
with DVI output as well to take advantage of this though).

John

Erick Pratt

Since you only need it for email and word processing, you don't need much
(obviously). I'm not much on any of the brand names (partially because I
work in a PC shop as a tech and see how cheap they build them these days).
Check out your local PC shops and see what they have available before
deciding on anything else.

As for LCDs, I like Acer and Viewsonic. Just pay attention to these points:
- Repsonse time; lower is better
- Native resolution; Higher is usually better, but makes things appear
smaller
- Warranty; How many dead pixels do they cover, length of the warranty, etc.
This is a no-brainer.
- Interface; Make sure it will work with what you're getting for the PC.
SVGA works with almost everything, while DVI requires a video card with a
DVI output.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...