Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > problem with sound

problem with sound

joe

This is an odd one to me--about two weeks ago my computer stopped
playing sound on e-cards and music videos. THose sounds played fine
before. It plays the video fine but no sound. It plays sound fine with
everything else, such as I-Tune songs, ESPN 360, C-span, and such.
Also plays sound fine on PC games. My sytstem is Windows XP and my
computer is a Dell 8400. Anyone have any idea what is wrong and how I
can fix it--or what I should look for?

Sjouke Burry

joe wrote:
> This is an odd one to me--about two weeks ago my computer stopped
> playing sound on e-cards and music videos. THose sounds played fine
> before. It plays the video fine but no sound. It plays sound fine with
> everything else, such as I-Tune songs, ESPN 360, C-span, and such.
> Also plays sound fine on PC games. My sytstem is Windows XP and my
> computer is a Dell 8400. Anyone have any idea what is wrong and how I
> can fix it--or what I should look for?

Automatic updates downgrade??

Erick Pratt

Sjourke has a point. I've found that the drivers from Windows update cause
more problems than they "fix." Try to get the latest drivers from the
motherboard maker or sound chip maker.

Also, have you recently installed any new apps such as Real1? Sometimes they
will "hijack" audio settings. If you have, remove the app and try again.

"Sjouke Burry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43acbe86$0$10086$(E-Mail Removed) ...
joe wrote:
> This is an odd one to me--about two weeks ago my computer stopped
> playing sound on e-cards and music videos. THose sounds played fine
> before. It plays the video fine but no sound. It plays sound fine with
> everything else, such as I-Tune songs, ESPN 360, C-span, and such.
> Also plays sound fine on PC games. My sytstem is Windows XP and my
> computer is a Dell 8400. Anyone have any idea what is wrong and how I
> can fix it--or what I should look for?

Automatic updates downgrade??

joseph.luchok@verizon.net

Thanks to both for the responses. I think I have found the culprit but
not the solution. The culprit seems to be Quicktime. I am going to
delete it and reinstall it and see if that solves the problem.