Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Two different capacity ram in a computer.

Two different capacity ram in a computer.

haseeb.mahmud@gmail.com

I have a hp computer with 256 DIMM ram (100 mhz). I want to upgrade the
ram. I have the following options:

* install a 256 MB DIMM with same bus speed.
* install a 256 MB DIMM with higher bus speed.
* install a 512 MB DIMM with same bus speed.
* install a 512 MB DIMM with higher bus speed.

Which option is best for me?

Merry Chirstmas and Happy New Year.

Thanks is advance.

tyler.m.burns@gmail.com

Get whatever speed is cheaper, unless you replace your current memory and
your motherboard supports a 133 Mhz system clock. Also make sure it is the
same type (Im assuming SDRAM) The system clock is a square wave signal used
to refresh DRAM and reference data signals so the changes in voltages on
the data lines. Example:

the high and low lines equal voltage levels

clock signal: -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
data signal: __-_---_____----_

Without a clock signal there is no way for the computer to determine if the
long periods of low voltage will equal lots of 0s or a few 0s. Without the
clock signal to get the logical ones and 0s the system would have no way to
determine what the electrical data signal meant unless you would have to
use a bipolar or more complex logic system which would most likely be
slower because it would take more changes in the data signal to produce the
same data. Also with a bipolar logic system current will flow both ways
through the line making it more likely to cause interference and making
engineering more complex due to semiconductor biasing.

Hopefully you now have a better understanding of what those frequencies in
computer components actually are and how they work.

> I have a hp computer with 256 DIMM ram (100 mhz). I want to upgrade the
> ram. I have the following options:
>
> * install a 256 MB DIMM with same bus speed.
> * install a 256 MB DIMM with higher bus speed.
> * install a 512 MB DIMM with same bus speed.
> * install a 512 MB DIMM with higher bus speed.
>
> Which option is best for me?
>
> Merry Chirstmas and Happy New Year.
>
> Thanks is advance.

http://www.usenet.com

nos1eep

On 22 Dec 2005 06:08:12 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) spewed the
following drivel:

<
<* install a 256 MB DIMM with same bus speed.
<* install a 256 MB DIMM with higher bus speed.
<* install a 512 MB DIMM with same bus speed.
<* install a 512 MB DIMM with higher bus speed.
<
<Which option is best for me?
<
<Merry Chirstmas and Happy New Year.
<
<Thanks is advance.
Install same speed, same density. In other words, if the RAM has chips
on a single side, buy that or if it has chips on both sides, follow
suit.

--

-nos1eep

-Scaling up the heights of folly.
-non est ponenda pluritas sine necessitate