Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows 2003 small business server question

Windows 2003 small business server question

Jim P

We are setting up a small company within our present company and we would
like to
set up a server for the following type of work.

The server will have 2003 small business server installed along with
Peachtree complete accounting.
The partners at our location will have full access to the Peachtree software
and the partners outside of the company
will be able to view and print the data from their location.

The server will only be used for remote access to the Peachtree software.
Will Microsoft Terminal Services work with this type of arrangement?
I have heard that you cannot run Terminal Services along with 2003 SBS. Is
this correct?
Will I need another version of 2003 server or am I ok with what I presently
have?

Is there an easier way to be able to access software like Peachtree from
in/outside of the company?
I have thought about programs like PCanywhere and Radmin, but we will need
multiple connections at times.

any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim P

Duane Arnold

"Jim P" <Enamanga (spam) @yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are setting up a small company within our present company and we would
> like to
> set up a server for the following type of work.
>
> The server will have 2003 small business server installed along with
> Peachtree complete accounting.
> The partners at our location will have full access to the Peachtree
> software and the partners outside of the company
> will be able to view and print the data from their location.
>
> The server will only be used for remote access to the Peachtree software.
> Will Microsoft Terminal Services work with this type of arrangement?
> I have heard that you cannot run Terminal Services along with 2003 SBS. Is
> this correct?

You needed to verify that I don't know.

> Will I need another version of 2003 server or am I ok with what I
> presently have?
>
> Is there an easier way to be able to access software like Peachtree from
> in/outside of the company?

What you need is a VPN solution something like AT&T Extranet or others that
is going to allow your outside users to connect to the network in a secure
situation.

> I have thought about programs like PCanywhere and Radmin, but we will need
> multiple connections at times.

PCAW is not going to get you anywhere or any software like that as only one
user can be connected to the host machine..

There is also what is know as Global Connect networking solutions that are
out there like the one that's being used by Keane the consulting company
that I actually sub contract through. In order for me to fill out my
PeopleSoft time sheet, I use a browser and login on to their Global Connect
network to fill out the timesheet and I am right there on their network and
have access to many of their Global applications. The Global Connect
solution does allow connection back to the client machine to do reporting
and allows one to print reports that are sent back to the client machine and
print on a printer at the client site through the browser. The one that
Keane uses is a secured connection and uses Passport Authentication and I
must use a user-id and password to access Keane's Global Connect site.

You also have Citrix Terminal Server too, which allows a secure VPN
connetion with the client machine and the server through a browser which
uses NT Autentication and allows applications to be run via the browser at
the server with printing of reports back to client machine's printer or
network printer.
..
You may also want to drop a post to comp.security.firewalls as there a Top
Guns over there that do what you are wanting to do on a routine basis in
setting up the solutions you're trying to implement.

Duane

Fakename

"Any suggestions?" you ask?

Hire a professional or you'll end up costing yourself more in the long
run in downtime and frustration. If it's an opinion you're looking for,
get multiple consultations... bla bla bla.

Look, you're some sort of a professional right? Don't treat this like
like a hobby project. It's not responsible when you're dealing with
financial data.

Jim P wrote:
> We are setting up a small company within our present company and we would
> like to
> set up a server for the following type of work.
>
> The server will have 2003 small business server installed along with
> Peachtree complete accounting.
> The partners at our location will have full access to the Peachtree software
> and the partners outside of the company
> will be able to view and print the data from their location.
>
> The server will only be used for remote access to the Peachtree software.
> Will Microsoft Terminal Services work with this type of arrangement?
> I have heard that you cannot run Terminal Services along with 2003 SBS. Is
> this correct?
> Will I need another version of 2003 server or am I ok with what I presently
> have?
>
> Is there an easier way to be able to access software like Peachtree from
> in/outside of the company?
> I have thought about programs like PCanywhere and Radmin, but we will need
> multiple connections at times.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jim P

Jim P

Thanks for your .02 cents
FYI: Installed it and everything works fine.