Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, not the safest way to go [STICKY]

Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, not the safest way to go [STICKY]

Uplink

I use my local library computers in town, and when I go on them, they
are really secure, no changing settings, no history, cookies, very
limited. Lots of people say that Firefox, and Netscape is much safer
than IE. IE is included with Windows and is built in with windows
security. I type in the address bar in IE

C:\

It says something along the Lines of "You cannot go to this directory,
it has been locked. Contact administrator for access privliges".\

I use Netscape Navigator:

C:\

gets me a list of the windows directory, I could not run many files but
could delete them If I wanted to

Just to let you know that Internet Explorer is better than Netscape,
Firefox, and Mozilla.

It has it's bugs, but is safer in certain limitations!

Bald Eagle

On 19 Dec 2005 12:32:41 -0800, "Uplink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use my local library computers in town, and when I go on them, they
>are really secure, no changing settings, no history, cookies, very
>limited. Lots of people say that Firefox, and Netscape is much safer
>than IE. IE is included with Windows and is built in with windows
>security. I type in the address bar in IE
>
>C:\
>
>It says something along the Lines of "You cannot go to this directory,
>it has been locked. Contact administrator for access privliges".\
>
>I use Netscape Navigator:
>
>C:\
>
>gets me a list of the windows directory, I could not run many files but
>could delete them If I wanted to
>
>Just to let you know that Internet Explorer is better than Netscape,
>Firefox, and Mozilla.
>
>It has it's bugs, but is safer in certain limitations!

I would like it if you would expand on that thought.

JTJersey

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:32:41 -0800, Uplink wrote:

> I use my local library computers in town, and when I go on them, they
> are really secure, no changing settings, no history, cookies, very
> limited. Lots of people say that Firefox, and Netscape is much safer
> than IE. IE is included with Windows and is built in with windows
> security. I type in the address bar in IE
>
> C:\
>
> It says something along the Lines of "You cannot go to this directory,
> it has been locked. Contact administrator for access privliges".\
>
> I use Netscape Navigator:
>
> C:\
>
> gets me a list of the windows directory, I could not run many files but
> could delete them If I wanted to
>
> Just to let you know that Internet Explorer is better than Netscape,
> Firefox, and Mozilla.
>
> It has it's bugs, but is safer in certain limitations!

I'm afraid you have no idea what your talking about.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

Uplink

JTJersey wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:32:41 -0800, Uplink wrote:
>
> > I use my local library computers in town, and when I go on them, they
> > are really secure, no changing settings, no history, cookies, very
> > limited. Lots of people say that Firefox, and Netscape is much safer
> > than IE. IE is included with Windows and is built in with windows
> > security. I type in the address bar in IE
> >
> > C:\
> >
> > It says something along the Lines of "You cannot go to this directory,
> > it has been locked. Contact administrator for access privliges".\
> >
> > I use Netscape Navigator:
> >
> > C:\
> >
> > gets me a list of the windows directory, I could not run many files but
> > could delete them If I wanted to
> >
> > Just to let you know that Internet Explorer is better than Netscape,
> > Firefox, and Mozilla.
> >
> > It has it's bugs, but is safer in certain limitations!

> I'm afraid you have no idea what your talking about.

No idea what I'm talking about, eh? Well I think YOU have no idea what
you talking about. I'm just saying that someone could destory computers
that have certain privliges and have more than on browser, like
netscape
> --
> Registered Linux User #267152

derek / nul

Gidday uplink,

What you define as better is not at all.
ie has been secured by policy, netscape has not.

There is nothing better about it.

On 19 Dec 2005 12:32:41 -0800, "Uplink" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use my local library computers in town, and when I go on them, they
>are really secure, no changing settings, no history, cookies, very
>limited. Lots of people say that Firefox, and Netscape is much safer
>than IE. IE is included with Windows and is built in with windows
>security. I type in the address bar in IE
>
>C:\
>
>It says something along the Lines of "You cannot go to this directory,
>it has been locked. Contact administrator for access privliges".\
>
>I use Netscape Navigator:
>
>C:\
>
>gets me a list of the windows directory, I could not run many files but
>could delete them If I wanted to
>
>Just to let you know that Internet Explorer is better than Netscape,
>Firefox, and Mozilla.
>
>It has it's bugs, but is safer in certain limitations!

Fakename

They're vulnerable because they didn't impliment their security very well.

File system level permissions would be the choice way to go. And if
they had hired me that's what I would have set up for them; then it
woulnd't matter what program you used, firefox/mozilla included.

You my friend just don't know as much about the situation as you think
you do.

tyler.m.burns@gmail.com

Uplink wrote:

> I use my local library computers in town, and when I go on them, they
> are really secure, no changing settings, no history, cookies, very
> limited. Lots of people say that Firefox, and Netscape is much safer
> than IE. IE is included with Windows and is built in with windows
> security. I type in the address bar in IE
>
> C:\
>
> It says something along the Lines of "You cannot go to this directory,
> it has been locked. Contact administrator for access privliges".\
>
> I use Netscape Navigator:
>
> C:\
>
> gets me a list of the windows directory, I could not run many files but
> could delete them If I wanted to
>
> Just to let you know that Internet Explorer is better than Netscape,
> Firefox, and Mozilla.
>
> It has it's bugs, but is safer in certain limitations!

I'm going to say its not safer. Firefox won't run activeX controls which is
a very common way people get spyware. Second, if the system administrator
at that library knew what they were doing they would have the file
permissions on critical files set so the typical user doesn't have the
ability to write to them (which includes deleting), and third if what you
are saying is true it shows how unsecure windows is.

http://www.usenet.com