Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help w/ 2.5" HDD hookup to PC

Help w/ 2.5" HDD hookup to PC

JC

Hello,

I am trying to hook up a 4 Gb laptop hard drive to my PC via a 44 to 40 pin
adapter. I believe I have all of the conections made correctly (pin 1 to
pin 1) and have tried various jumper configurations but when hooking up to
my PC, I get a "primary hard disk not found" error. BIOS lists the drive as
"unknown". The drive still functions just fine when put back in the laptop.
I am attempting to hook this up to the PC as a slave drive.

Any tips that I should be looking at here? I think I've tried all
combinations of connections but it seems like my PC BIOS just doesn't
recognise the drive.

Thanks.

nos1eep

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:43:50 GMT, "JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> spewed the
following drivel:

<Hello,
<
<I am trying to hook up a 4 Gb laptop hard drive to my PC via a 44 to
40 pin
<adapter. I believe I have all of the conections made correctly (pin
<pin 1) and have tried various jumper configurations but when hooking
up to
<my PC, I get a "primary hard disk not found" error. BIOS lists the
drive as
<"unknown". The drive still functions just fine when put back in the
laptop.
<I am attempting to hook this up to the PC as a slave drive.
<
<Any tips that I should be looking at here? I think I've tried all
<combinations of connections but it seems like my PC BIOS just doesn't
<recognise the drive.
<
<Thanks.
Have a look at this and see if it helps
http://www.pccables.com/00504.htm
-nos1eep

-Scaling up the heights of folly.
-non est ponenda pluritas sine necessitate

Robert Baer

JC wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to hook up a 4 Gb laptop hard drive to my PC via a 44 to 40 pin
> adapter. I believe I have all of the conections made correctly (pin 1 to
> pin 1) and have tried various jumper configurations but when hooking up to
> my PC, I get a "primary hard disk not found" error. BIOS lists the drive as
> "unknown". The drive still functions just fine when put back in the laptop.
> I am attempting to hook this up to the PC as a slave drive.
>
> Any tips that I should be looking at here? I think I've tried all
> combinations of connections but it seems like my PC BIOS just doesn't
> recognise the drive.
>
> Thanks.

Usually laptop type drives have 50 pins and a *different* connector.
And, in that case, the first 40 pins are identical in useage.
From there on, some of the balance are used for
master/slave/cableselect, some for power, some unused, and (on a few)
unknown/undocumented.

HF

I have just bought from e Bay a USB to IDE adapter/connector with power
supply(5 and 12v) which is reversible for either a laptop or PC drive.3(
9GBP inc post) Hong kong trader
"JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:q93pf.33358$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to hook up a 4 Gb laptop hard drive to my PC via a 44 to 40

pin
> adapter. I believe I have all of the conections made correctly (pin 1 to
> pin 1) and have tried various jumper configurations but when hooking up to
> my PC, I get a "primary hard disk not found" error. BIOS lists the drive

as
> "unknown". The drive still functions just fine when put back in the

laptop.
> I am attempting to hook this up to the PC as a slave drive.
>
> Any tips that I should be looking at here? I think I've tried all
> combinations of connections but it seems like my PC BIOS just doesn't
> recognise the drive.
>
> Thanks.

HF

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...264649&ssPageN
ame=STRK:MEWN:IT
"JC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:q93pf.33358$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to hook up a 4 Gb laptop hard drive to my PC via a 44 to 40

pin
> adapter. I believe I have all of the conections made correctly (pin 1 to
> pin 1) and have tried various jumper configurations but when hooking up to
> my PC, I get a "primary hard disk not found" error. BIOS lists the drive

as
> "unknown". The drive still functions just fine when put back in the

laptop.
> I am attempting to hook this up to the PC as a slave drive.
>
> Any tips that I should be looking at here? I think I've tried all
> combinations of connections but it seems like my PC BIOS just doesn't
> recognise the drive.
>
> Thanks.

yootzee

Is it an actual IDE 2.5" to 3.5" converter, with the molex power plug? Also
are you trying to daisy chain it with any other drives?