Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Booting problem...

Booting problem...

Travis

A friend of mine is having trouble starting their computer, they turn the computer on, and then it displays a HP logo and then the screen goes black and there is a text cursor in the top left. I'm not much in Booting and BIOS but it's a problem I would like to have a solution for.

I know someone can help as I know lots of people talk about booting problems.

Their OS is Microsoft Windows XP

HF

Press F8 during attempt at booting and use one of the options to start. You can also read this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3080...23120121120120
"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Q4Pmf.202812$Io.14141@clgrps13...
A friend of mine is having trouble starting their computer, they turn the computer on, and then it displays a HP logo and then the screen goes black and there is a text cursor in the top left. I'm not much in Booting and BIOS but it's a problem I would like to have a solution for.

I know someone can help as I know lots of people talk about booting problems.

Their OS is Microsoft Windows XP

cyberwraith

My neighbours computer has recently done the exact same thing. I followed
help given here, and even took hints from the MS site itself. The only thing
which worked was unfortunately a re-install of XP.

Brian

Try tapping on the F8 key while booting to get the startup menu. Select safe mode and see if it boots. If so then its one of your startup programs causing the problem....type msconfig in the Run window (start-run) and click on the startup tab. Uncheck any programs that you think might be the issue..I recommend unchecking all of them and then restart to normal then check each program one at a time until you find the culprit. Then remove/reinstall that program

If you cant get into safe mode insert the XP cd and run a repair

Plato

http://www.bootdisk.com/html.htm

tyler.burns@hotmail.com

Travis wrote:

> A friend of mine is having trouble starting their computer, they turn the
> computer on, and then it displays a HP logo and then the screen goes black
> and there is a text cursor in the top left. I'm not much in Booting and
> BIOS but it's a problem I would like to have a solution for.
>
> I know someone can help as I know lots of people talk about booting
> problems.
>
> Their OS is Microsoft Windows XP

It could also be your hard disk or CMOS settings. Try getting ahold of a
bootable CDROM or floppy and see if you can navigate the filesystem. You
could also go into your CMOS settings (usually by hitting F1, F2, F10, or
delete depending on BIOS manufacturer and there should be an option to
change your CMOS settings to failsafe. Feel free to send me an email to the
address on here if you need any more help.