Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > USB2 cables

USB2 cables

Gel

Is there a symbol on a USB2 cable to differentiate from 1.1?

Looking at icon on plug can see no difference.

Thanks

Pc Rat

Gel wrote:
> Is there a symbol on a USB2 cable to differentiate from 1.1?
>
> Looking at icon on plug can see no difference.
>
> Thanks

its not the cable, its the PORT thats usb 1.0 or usb 2.0

Gel

But manufacturers calim USB2 as superior screening/transfers data
quicker??

JTJersey

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:15:09 -0800, Gel wrote:

> Is there a symbol on a USB2 cable to differentiate from 1.1?
>
> Looking at icon on plug can see no difference.
>
> Thanks

If it has the term "High Speed" on it then it's USB2. However, using a
cable so marked will not give you USB2 if your hardware is USB1. It will
work, but there will be no speed increase. You need to install an add-on
card if USB2 is not built into your motherboard.
--
Registered Linux User #267152

Fakename

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression they were actually
different, but backward compatible.

Pc Rat wrote:
> Gel wrote:
>
>> Is there a symbol on a USB2 cable to differentiate from 1.1?
>>
>> Looking at icon on plug can see no difference.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> its not the cable, its the PORT thats usb 1.0 or usb 2.0

Fakename

Too add to that, if the usb ports/hub in device manager has the word
"enhanced" in it then it is USB2.

JTJersey wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:15:09 -0800, Gel wrote:
>

>>Is there a symbol on a USB2 cable to differentiate from 1.1?
>>
>>Looking at icon on plug can see no difference.
>>
>>Thanks

> If it has the term "High Speed" on it then it's USB2. However, using a
> cable so marked will not give you USB2 if your hardware is USB1. It will
> work, but there will be no speed increase. You need to install an add-on
> card if USB2 is not built into your motherboard.

Ken