Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Transferring files

Transferring files

GlasshouseJohn

I've got a new computer for Christmas. It is only the tower bit. How can I
transfer stuff such as images and other files, and favourites and email
settings and newsgroup settings.

--
Regards
John Hopkins

fruitbat

"GlasshouseJohn" <(E-Mail Removed) o.uk>
wrote in message news:dn4so9$18p$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a new computer for Christmas. It is only the tower bit. How can
> I transfer stuff such as images and other files, and favourites and email
> settings and newsgroup settings.

http://www.oehelp.com/ has a lot of help in transferring Outlook Express
email settings, address books and news.

Your images and other files can be transfered in many ways, including
* temporarily installing the old hard disc into the new computer
* burning wanted files onto CDs or DVDs
* memory sticks, flash memory or even camera cards
* uploading the wanted files to an email provider such as GMAIL or HOTMAIL
and then downloading to the new PC

Secret Squiddle

"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:439629e0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "GlasshouseJohn" <(E-Mail Removed) o.uk>
> wrote in message news:dn4so9$18p$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've got a new computer for Christmas. It is only the tower bit. How
>> can I transfer stuff such as images and other files, and favourites and
>> email settings and newsgroup settings.

> http://www.oehelp.com/ has a lot of help in transferring Outlook Express
> email settings, address books and news.
>
> Your images and other files can be transfered in many ways, including
> * temporarily installing the old hard disc into the new computer
> * burning wanted files onto CDs or DVDs
> * memory sticks, flash memory or even camera cards
> * uploading the wanted files to an email provider such as GMAIL or HOTMAIL
> and then downloading to the new PC

The last suggestion is just crazy! It would take until next Christmas to
transfer a load of images and files via gmail or hotmail (hotmail would go
belly up with that volume of data).

**SS**

GlasshouseJohn

"fruitbat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:439629e0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "GlasshouseJohn" <(E-Mail Removed) o.uk>
> wrote in message news:dn4so9$18p$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've got a new computer for Christmas. It is only the tower bit. How
>> can I transfer stuff such as images and other files, and favourites and
>> email settings and newsgroup settings.

> http://www.oehelp.com/ has a lot of help in transferring Outlook Express
> email settings, address books and news.
>
> Your images and other files can be transfered in many ways, including
> * temporarily installing the old hard disc into the new computer
> * burning wanted files onto CDs or DVDs
> * memory sticks, flash memory or even camera cards
> * uploading the wanted files to an email provider such as GMAIL or HOTMAIL
> and then downloading to the new PC

How easy would it be to make the old pc a slave drive to the new one?

--
Regards
John Hopkins

Alan

http://www.abf-soft.com/outlook-express-backup.shtml

Not freeware but sill transfer across any MS platform any version of OE. As
for data Slave the drive as aleady said or burn data on disc. External
harddrive cases make for even a better secondary backup solution if scraping
the old system. Alan....