Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer works great...until I plug it into the network.

Computer works great...until I plug it into the network.

Max

What I have here has me and our computer service guy stumped. My work
computer works fine just as it should. I came back from vacation and my
computer was working fine then as well. I rebooted my computer (can't
remember why) and it locked up immediately after reboot. We sent it in
for servicing and the service guy reinstalled the operating system
(Windows ME) because an upgrade costs actual dollars and my boss won't
approve it things that cost actual dollars.

Venting aside, when I get the computer back it works fine until I plug
it into the network. Then it freezes. The mouse will move around the
screen, but when I try to open or run anything it just.....sits
there.....I have to reboot it without it being plugged into the network
to get it running again.

What's the problem? I have a suspicion that it has something to do with
the generator that kicks on once a week. The facility will lose power
during the transfer to generator power then lose it again during the
transfer back to the city's feed. My computer has no UPS. Any
suggestions on where I can find the solution to this problem or what it
may be?

Fakename

Have your IT guy try a different NIC.

Max wrote:
> What I have here has me and our computer service guy stumped. My work
> computer works fine just as it should. I came back from vacation and my
> computer was working fine then as well. I rebooted my computer (can't
> remember why) and it locked up immediately after reboot. We sent it in
> for servicing and the service guy reinstalled the operating system
> (Windows ME) because an upgrade costs actual dollars and my boss won't
> approve it things that cost actual dollars.
>
> Venting aside, when I get the computer back it works fine until I plug
> it into the network. Then it freezes. The mouse will move around the
> screen, but when I try to open or run anything it just.....sits
> there.....I have to reboot it without it being plugged into the network
> to get it running again.
>
> What's the problem? I have a suspicion that it has something to do with
> the generator that kicks on once a week. The facility will lose power
> during the transfer to generator power then lose it again during the
> transfer back to the city's feed. My computer has no UPS. Any
> suggestions on where I can find the solution to this problem or what it
> may be?

jerryg50@hotmail.com

The network card may be defective. This is also known as the NIC. If
the computer can handle XP, it would be a lot more stable.

If you can even go to Win 98, the computer will be much better than
with ME. I have had a lot of problems with ME.

Jerry G.
======