Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Dual booting Windows XP with Windows 3.11

Dual booting Windows XP with Windows 3.11

Travis

I have Windows XP Home SP-2 and want to dual boot with Windows 3.11 For
Workgroups. My system does not have a floppy drive but I have Windows
3.11 on my harddrive in zip files. I just want to know if It can be
done.

-Thanks

(PS: I would perfer that nos1eep stays out of this message, unless
he/she/it? can help)

Travis

Ooops, sorry I didn't notice that I already had a message, please ignore
this topic

"Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I have Windows XP Home SP-2 and want to dual boot with Windows 3.11 For
> Workgroups. My system does not have a floppy drive but I have Windows
> 3.11 on my harddrive in zip files. I just want to know if It can be
> done.
>
> -Thanks
>
> (PS: I would perfer that nos1eep stays out of this message, unless
> he/she/it? can help)

nos1eep

On 30 Nov 2005 16:15:18 -0800, "Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> chewed
somnambulantly over a chucker-full cup of spasm and bleated:

<I have Windows XP Home SP-2 and want to dual boot with Windows 3.11
For
<Workgroups. My system does not have a floppy drive but I have Windows
<3.11 on my harddrive in zip files. I just want to know if It can be
<done.
<
<-Thanks
<
<(PS: I would perfer that nos1eep stays out of this message, unless
<he/she/it? can help)

I'm baaaaaaack! I will give you the answer, plus give you the answers
to any and all computer related questions on the condition that you
stop trying to give tech support. You just are not qualified.
First of all, you will need to find a floppy drive and install it, DOS
requires it.
Partition your hdd into 2 partitions, format one in fat16, install
dos, install windows 3.1. On a seperate partition, format it into
fat32 and install XP.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...306559&sd=tech
__

-nos1eep

Travis

Thank you, I can get a USB floppy drive (I have a laptop w/o a Floppy
drive).

PS: What tech support?

"nos1eep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 30 Nov 2005 16:15:18 -0800, "Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> chewed
> somnambulantly over a chucker-full cup of spasm and bleated:
>
> <I have Windows XP Home SP-2 and want to dual boot with Windows 3.11
> For
> <Workgroups. My system does not have a floppy drive but I have Windows
> <3.11 on my harddrive in zip files. I just want to know if It can be
> <done.
> <
> <-Thanks
> <
> <(PS: I would perfer that nos1eep stays out of this message, unless
> <he/she/it? can help)
>
> I'm baaaaaaack! I will give you the answer, plus give you the answers
> to any and all computer related questions on the condition that you
> stop trying to give tech support. You just are not qualified.
> First of all, you will need to find a floppy drive and install it, DOS
> requires it.
> Partition your hdd into 2 partitions, format one in fat16, install
> dos, install windows 3.1. On a seperate partition, format it into
> fat32 and install XP.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...306559&sd=tech
> __
>
> -nos1eep

nos1eep

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 01:40:14 GMT, "Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> chewed
somnambulantly over a chucker-full cup of spasm and bleated:

<Thank you, I can get a USB floppy drive (I have a laptop w/o a Floppy
<drive).

What laptop? Name, model no. Drivers are going to be few and far
between for most newer laptops. I could be wrong, but I think that
win95 was the first microsoft os with support for usb.

<PS: What tech support?

exactly

<
<"nos1eep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
<news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
<> On 30 Nov 2005 16:15:18 -0800, "Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> chewed
<> somnambulantly over a chucker-full cup of spasm and bleated:
<>
<> <I have Windows XP Home SP-2 and want to dual boot with Windows
3.11
<> For
<> <Workgroups. My system does not have a floppy drive but I have
Windows
<> <3.11 on my harddrive in zip files. I just want to know if It can
be
<> <done.
<> <
<> <-Thanks
<> <
<> <(PS: I would perfer that nos1eep stays out of this message, unless
<> <he/she/it? can help)
<>
<> I'm baaaaaaack! I will give you the answer, plus give you the
answers
<> to any and all computer related questions on the condition that you
<> stop trying to give tech support. You just are not qualified.
<> First of all, you will need to find a floppy drive and install it,
DOS
<> requires it.
<> Partition your hdd into 2 partitions, format one in fat16, install
<> dos, install windows 3.1. On a seperate partition, format it into
<> fat32 and install XP.
<>
http://support.microsoft.com/default...306559&sd=tech
<> __
<>
<> -nos1eep
<
__

-nos1eep

Plato

nos1eep wrote:

> What laptop? Name, model no. Drivers are going to be few and far
> between for most newer laptops. I could be wrong, but I think that
> win95 was the first microsoft os with support for usb.

Yeah, it was called win95B w/USB. Came out just a few months after
win95B.

Robert Baer

nos1eep wrote:

> On 30 Nov 2005 16:15:18 -0800, "Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> chewed
> somnambulantly over a chucker-full cup of spasm and bleated:
>
> <I have Windows XP Home SP-2 and want to dual boot with Windows 3.11
> For
> <Workgroups. My system does not have a floppy drive but I have Windows
> <3.11 on my harddrive in zip files. I just want to know if It can be
> <done.
> <
> <-Thanks
> <
> <(PS: I would perfer that nos1eep stays out of this message, unless
> <he/she/it? can help)
>
> I'm baaaaaaack! I will give you the answer, plus give you the answers
> to any and all computer related questions on the condition that you
> stop trying to give tech support. You just are not qualified.
> First of all, you will need to find a floppy drive and install it, DOS
> requires it.
> Partition your hdd into 2 partitions, format one in fat16, install
> dos, install windows 3.1. On a seperate partition, format it into
> fat32 and install XP.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...306559&sd=tech
> __
>
> -nos1eep

Bull**; DOS does *NOT* "require" a floppy drive.
If you require a driver for reading CDs in DOS, ther are a number of
them, and the setup is fairly easy.
However, one *will* need (at least) two partitions, the first ones
are for DOS (primary and extended partitions), and the last one - the
*big* one taking the rest of the drive, will be left for XP.
And you can, if XP allows it, use FAT32 or NTFS - presumedly
selectable during installation of XP (after you have at least made the
other partitions for DOS).
Word of warning - if you use NTFS, no DOS program will "see" that
drive (other than FDISK which will incorrectly report the size and will
not give it a drive letter).
However, NTFS is more efficent and presumedly faster than FAT32 - so
it is not a bad trade-off; i have yet to have problems due to the
DOS-invisible "drive"; i make a special DOS subdirectory that i call
"common" to park files from my Win2k (NTFS) that i most likely will need
in DOS, and vise-versa.

Robert Baer

Travis wrote:

> Thank you, I can get a USB floppy drive (I have a laptop w/o a Floppy
> drive).
>
> PS: What tech support?
>
> "nos1eep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On 30 Nov 2005 16:15:18 -0800, "Travis" <(E-Mail Removed)> chewed
>>somnambulantly over a chucker-full cup of spasm and bleated:
>>
>><I have Windows XP Home SP-2 and want to dual boot with Windows 3.11
>>For
>><Workgroups. My system does not have a floppy drive but I have Windows
>><3.11 on my harddrive in zip files. I just want to know if It can be
>><done.
>><
>><-Thanks
>><
>><(PS: I would perfer that nos1eep stays out of this message, unless
>><he/she/it? can help)
>>
>>I'm baaaaaaack! I will give you the answer, plus give you the answers
>>to any and all computer related questions on the condition that you
>>stop trying to give tech support. You just are not qualified.
>>First of all, you will need to find a floppy drive and install it, DOS
>>requires it.
>>Partition your hdd into 2 partitions, format one in fat16, install
>>dos, install windows 3.1. On a seperate partition, format it into
>>fat32 and install XP.
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default...306559&sd=tech
>>__
>>
>>-nos1eep

AFAIK there are no USB drivers for DOS, so that is not an option.

nos1eep

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 08:57:01 GMT, Robert Baer

<nos1eep wrote:
<
[...]

Yeah, you are right Robert, you can get by without a floppy, I was
remembering back and got caught in a time warp; when all we had was
floppies to get things started. For the moment, I forgot about
bootable CD's. Dohhh!

__

-nos1eep