Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Files copy instead of delete

Files copy instead of delete

CK

When I try to delete .rtf files on my Windows XP computer, they are
copied rather than deleted. I end up with copies of copies of copies.
I've tried using right click and delete, dragging to recycle bin,
moving to another file and deleting the file; nothing works. I end up
with more and more copies of unwanted documents. How can I fix this?

Fakename

You may have a virus or spyware. Often malware will manipulate your
shell environment, causing weird behaviors like you are describing.
That would be the first place I'd look anyways.

CK wrote:
> When I try to delete .rtf files on my Windows XP computer, they are
> copied rather than deleted. I end up with copies of copies of copies.
> I've tried using right click and delete, dragging to recycle bin,
> moving to another file and deleting the file; nothing works. I end up
> with more and more copies of unwanted documents. How can I fix this?

CK

Any suggestions on how to stop it? I've run two different virus
software programs. Both say there is no virus found.

goodsportz goodsportz is offline
Junior Member

Its happening to me too
Exactly the same symptoms but its image files, JPgs
I put them in my trash, and it even copied the trash file and made a shortcut!!!
Very annoying spy bot search and destroy did not find it

Last edited by goodsportz; 05-28-2009 at 07:50 AM..

Victor3 Victor3 is offline
Junior Member

I have the exact same symptoms as goodsportz - no clue, but don't think it's malware. It happened once before, I think I deleted them one at a time (brain damage) Any help would be most welcome. Nothing from microsoft, no surprise there

AHA! TURNS OUT IT'S EASIER TO MOVE THE FILES YOU WANT TO SAVE TO ANOTHER FOLDER, THEN "SELECT ALL" FOR THE COPIES AND HIT DELETE. It appeared to be trying to copy them as the deletion was going on, but it worked! Next time, I'll just delete the folder with the copies itself, then make a new one. Still no clue why this is going on.

Couple of things I found, sticking/malf. ctrl key (try one on other side) hold pointer STILL on jpeg or file when selecting to avoid "drag" copying?

Last edited by Victor3; 06-10-2009 at 01:56 AM..