Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Help finding a computer

Help finding a computer

Bradley Burton

I mostly use my computer for the Internet including movies. Sometimes I
have a lot of windows open at once. I also use Microsoft Word a lot.
Basically I am looking for something that won't freeze Internet Explorer
when I try to open it up when a lot of other windows are open. What type of
processer would I need? and what about RAM? I don't know much about
computers and am looking on the Dell web site. It seems to be the easiest.
I can read the different processors and stuff, but don't know what they
mean. I'm just looking for one that can handle what I use it for. No games
or anything like that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brad

Fakename

Any computer will freeze/stutter like that occasionally. It's a
byproduct of how complicated they are. There's soooooo much room for
code bloat, errors, and ineffecient processes.

Faster hardware should reduce impact this has on performance, but it
won't eliminate it.

Bradley Burton wrote:
> I mostly use my computer for the Internet including movies. Sometimes I
> have a lot of windows open at once. I also use Microsoft Word a lot.
> Basically I am looking for something that won't freeze Internet Explorer
> when I try to open it up when a lot of other windows are open. What type of
> processer would I need? and what about RAM? I don't know much about
> computers and am looking on the Dell web site. It seems to be the easiest.
> I can read the different processors and stuff, but don't know what they
> mean. I'm just looking for one that can handle what I use it for. No games
> or anything like that.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Brad

Reginald P

Bradley Burton wrote:

> I mostly use my computer for the Internet including movies. Sometimes I
> have a lot of windows open at once. I also use Microsoft Word a lot.
> Basically I am looking for something that won't freeze Internet Explorer
> when I try to open it up when a lot of other windows are open. What type of
> processer would I need? and what about RAM? I don't know much about
> computers and am looking on the Dell web site. It seems to be the easiest.
> I can read the different processors and stuff, but don't know what they
> mean. I'm just looking for one that can handle what I use it for. No games
> or anything like that.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Brad

Spend what you can afford and consider using unix / linux

Plato

Bradley Burton wrote:

> I mostly use my computer for the Internet including movies. Sometimes I
> have a lot of windows open at once. I also use Microsoft Word a lot.
> Basically I am looking for something that won't freeze Internet Explorer
> when I try to open it up when a lot of other windows are open. What type of
> processer would I need? and what about RAM? I don't know much about

Get 1.5 gig of ram.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Fakename

Unix/Linux desktop environments are even worse for stuttering and
freezing. Oh sure the core underneath is fast, but the desktop's are
slow as ****.

KDE, forget about it. I mean it looks great, and has some great
features, but if you want a quick and conistently responsive desktop
you're best bet is Windows, or maybe Macintosh. And KDE is the defacto
env in most linux distros.

Not to mention that the original poster doesn't sound like a power user
when it comes to windows, so it would be an uphill battle for him to
learn *nix. *nix is much harder to use than Windows.

If you want to speed things up when it comes to computing then buy some
faster hardware and learn to understand the quirks that come with modern
computing. Forget about *nix.

Fakename wrote:

> Unix/Linux desktop environments are even worse for stuttering and
> freezing.

utter bullshite
Oh sure the core underneath is fast, but the desktop's are
> slow as ****.

wrong again

> KDE, forget about it. I mean it looks great, and has some great
> features, but if you want a quick and conistently responsive desktop
> you're best bet is Windows, or maybe Macintosh. And KDE is the defacto
> env in most linux distros.

its a very good product , I prefer Solaris which incidently is now
free for personal use

> Not to mention that the original poster doesn't sound like a power user
> when it comes to windows, so it would be an uphill battle for him to
> learn *nix. *nix is much harder to use than Windows.

utter rubbish , insert dvd and go , nice easy gui interface .

> If you want to speed things up when it comes to computing then buy some
> faster hardware and learn to understand the quirks that come with modern
> computing. Forget about *nix.

you really need to drop that mickysof is wonderful 'tude and realise
nix is very easy and useful these days .

> Reginald P wrote:

Reginald P

Plato wrote:

> Bradley Burton wrote:
>
>>I mostly use my computer for the Internet including movies. Sometimes I
>>have a lot of windows open at once. I also use Microsoft Word a lot.
>>Basically I am looking for something that won't freeze Internet Explorer
>>when I try to open it up when a lot of other windows are open. What type of
>>processer would I need? and what about RAM? I don't know much about

> Get 1.5 gig of ram.

wouldn't be much in a PII would it ?

Robert Baer

Bradley Burton wrote:

> I mostly use my computer for the Internet including movies. Sometimes I
> have a lot of windows open at once. I also use Microsoft Word a lot.
> Basically I am looking for something that won't freeze Internet Explorer
> when I try to open it up when a lot of other windows are open. What type of
> processer would I need? and what about RAM? I don't know much about
> computers and am looking on the Dell web site. It seems to be the easiest.
> I can read the different processors and stuff, but don't know what they
> mean. I'm just looking for one that can handle what I use it for. No games
> or anything like that.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Brad

1) do *not* use IE
2) do *not* use OE

Fakename

You compare KDE and Solaris. One is an OS, the other is a desktop
environment. You do realize you could run KDE on Solaris right?

And KDE is slower on the same hardware than the Windows interface. It
just is.

Installing Linux isn't that hard, but using it is a lot harder than
using Windows. Just try to explain something like upgrading a video
card on *nix to your average PC user and watch they're eyes gloss over.

You've got to remember that your average computer user can't even copy
files at the command line. They just can't handle *nix.

I like Linux/Unix. I use *nix. But I also realize it's not for everybody.

Reginald P wrote:
> Fakename wrote:
>
>> Unix/Linux desktop environments are even worse for stuttering and
>> freezing.

> utter bullshite
> Oh sure the core underneath is fast, but the desktop's are
>
>> slow as ****.

> wrong again
>

>> KDE, forget about it. I mean it looks great, and has some great
>> features, but if you want a quick and conistently responsive desktop
>> you're best bet is Windows, or maybe Macintosh. And KDE is the
>> defacto env in most linux distros.

> its a very good product , I prefer Solaris which incidently is now free
> for personal use
>

>> Not to mention that the original poster doesn't sound like a power
>> user when it comes to windows, so it would be an uphill battle for him
>> to learn *nix. *nix is much harder to use than Windows.

> utter rubbish , insert dvd and go , nice easy gui interface .
>

>> If you want to speed things up when it comes to computing then buy
>> some faster hardware and learn to understand the quirks that come with
>> modern computing. Forget about *nix.

> you really need to drop that mickysof is wonderful 'tude and realise
> nix is very easy and useful these days .
>

>> Reginald P wrote:

Reginald P

Fakename wrote:

> You compare KDE and Solaris.

I didn't think so , just expressed my preference for an o/s
One is an OS, the other is a desktop
yes so your point ?
> environment. You do realize you could run KDE on Solaris right?

oh duh , another drop of brilliance from the officer for
misinformation , where was your last position Iraq ?