Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Transferring files etween partitions

Reply
Thread Tools

Transferring files etween partitions

 
 
Topref
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2005
I've been running Nortons Anti Virus for some time and it now appears that it's corrupted.

I've been seriously thinking of formatting my c drive for some time and this looks like the ideal time. My hard drive is partitioned into two and XP is installed on both.This might seems like a daft question but how do I transfer files and folders from one to another?

When I click start and my computer there's local drive "c" and local drive "d".

If I right click on a folder on my desktop, the "send to" option doesn't include the option to send from "c" to "d".

Any help would be greatfully received.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ellis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2005

>>"Topref" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I've been running Nortons Anti Virus for some time and it now appears that
>>it's corrupted.


>>I've been seriously thinking of formatting my c drive for some time and
>>this looks like the ideal time. My hard drive is >>partitioned into two
>>and XP is installed on both.This might seems like a daft question but how
>>do I transfer files and folders >>from one to another?


>>If I right click on a folder on my desktop, the "send to" option doesn't
>>include the option to send from "c" to "d".


>>Any help would be greatfully received.


To copy from one partition to another. Right click on folder to be copied
and select "copy" or "cut" command. Then select the partition to be copied
to, right click, and select "paste" command.

You say you are going to partition the C drive but in fact the drive is
divided into two partitions, so if you partition the whole drive you could
lose both partitions and data. Do you mean you are planning to format just
the C partition?

You need to be very clear about what you are attempting to do. It would help
to know the capacity of the drive and the size of the two partitions. Do
you have two primary partitions? Presumably you are using a dual boot
system. Is Norton corrupt on both partitions or just one?

If you have one good operating system, then you could think about using
Norton Ghost, if you have it, and ghost a copy from one partition to the
other. Or you could format the c partition and then re-install XP from
scratch.

Before you attempt anything make sure you back up any data that is important
onto cds or dvd's

Ellis


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
The One
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2005

"Topref" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I've been running Nortons Anti Virus for some time and it now appears that
it's corrupted.

I've been seriously thinking of formatting my c drive for some time and this
looks like the ideal time. My hard drive is partitioned into two and XP is
installed on both.This might seems like a daft question but how do I
transfer files and folders from one to another?

When I click start and my computer there's local drive "c" and local drive
"d".

If I right click on a folder on my desktop, the "send to" option doesn't
include the option to send from "c" to "d".

Any help would be greatfully received.

Ignore what everyone else says, uninstall / delete Norton from your system,
download and use better free antivirus programs such as AVG or Avast ones
which won't ruin your system.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Topref
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2005
Thanks for the replies.

To The One, I've been thinking about that myself... thanks.

To Ellis.

Thanks for the reply. Have right clicked the folders and sent them to the partitioned drive but I do have some questions.

Yes I do intend just formatting "c" and was then going to copy the folders back from "D" after reinstalling XP onto "C".

My "C2 drive is 48Gb and the "D" is 25Gb.

I never use "D". I just created the partition "just in case". On boot up "C" is described as XP Pro and "D" is classed as XP Media Centre (or something like that). I assume these are two primary partitions - correct me if I'm wrong please.

The only thing on "D" is the operating system. There are no programs there but looks like I'll have to install Word and Excel as I have files to transfer too.

Is there a way of transferring my e.mails over and just as importantly, my work files and the contents of My Documents.

Thanks in Advance ...I may have more questions as I progress if you don't mind.

Cheers

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ellis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005

" To Ellis.

<<Thanks for the reply. Have right clicked the folders and sent them to the
partitioned drive but I do have some questions.
<<Yes I do intend just formatting "c" and was then going to copy the folders
back from "D" after reinstalling XP onto "C".
<<My "C2 drive is 48Gb and the "D" is 25Gb.
<<I never use "D". I just created the partition "just in case". On boot up
"C" is described as XP Pro and "D" is classed as XP <<Media Centre (or
something like that). I assume these are two primary partitions - correct me
if I'm wrong please.
<<The only thing on "D" is the operating system. There are no programs there
but looks like I'll have to install Word and <<Excel as I have files to
transfer too.
<<Is there a way of transferring my e.mails over and just as importantly, my
work files and the contents of My Documents.
<<Thanks in Advance ...I may have more questions as I progress if you don't
mind.

Topref

I must be honest and say it is impossible to advise you on how to go about
formatting and partitioning without having the drive in front of me and
knowing exactly what is what. There is always the danger of deleting data
and I dread having to format and partition my own drives, if there is a
danger of losing data, even though I have done it many, many, times before.

I can only give you bits of general advice. For instance, you can copy My
Documents over to the other partition the same way as you copied the other
folders. The only difference is you may have to change the name if there is
already a My Documents folder on the other partition. Simply call it My
Documents X.

Also, you need to establish exactly what your partitions are, and you can do
this by accessing the following folder.

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management.

This will show you the hard drive and tell you whether the partitions are
primary partitions, extended partitions or logical drives.

Just take things slowly and try and master one thing at a time. You will get
there eventually. It would be much better if you had a spare hard drive that
you could experiment with.

Ellis



 
Reply With Quote
 
Topref
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
Hi.

Further to my last post. when booting this morning, I opened the Media Centre partition and couldn't find the folders I transferred last night before going to bed, even though the box came up on screen with the folders apparently moving.

Tou are right, - slowly but surely. I've got a 512 USB pen drive being delivered today so will experiment with transferring stuff to my laptop.




"Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dm5r9b$sfq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> " To Ellis.
>
> <<Thanks for the reply. Have right clicked the folders and sent them to the
> partitioned drive but I do have some questions.
> <<Yes I do intend just formatting "c" and was then going to copy the folders
> back from "D" after reinstalling XP onto "C".
> <<My "C2 drive is 48Gb and the "D" is 25Gb.
> <<I never use "D". I just created the partition "just in case". On boot up
> "C" is described as XP Pro and "D" is classed as XP <<Media Centre (or
> something like that). I assume these are two primary partitions - correct me
> if I'm wrong please.
> <<The only thing on "D" is the operating system. There are no programs there
> but looks like I'll have to install Word and <<Excel as I have files to
> transfer too.
> <<Is there a way of transferring my e.mails over and just as importantly, my
> work files and the contents of My Documents.
> <<Thanks in Advance ...I may have more questions as I progress if you don't
> mind.
>
> Topref
>
> I must be honest and say it is impossible to advise you on how to go about
> formatting and partitioning without having the drive in front of me and
> knowing exactly what is what. There is always the danger of deleting data
> and I dread having to format and partition my own drives, if there is a
> danger of losing data, even though I have done it many, many, times before.
>
> I can only give you bits of general advice. For instance, you can copy My
> Documents over to the other partition the same way as you copied the other
> folders. The only difference is you may have to change the name if there is
> already a My Documents folder on the other partition. Simply call it My
> Documents X.
>
> Also, you need to establish exactly what your partitions are, and you can do
> this by accessing the following folder.
>
> Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management.
>
> This will show you the hard drive and tell you whether the partitions are
> primary partitions, extended partitions or logical drives.
>
> Just take things slowly and try and master one thing at a time. You will get
> there eventually. It would be much better if you had a spare hard drive that
> you could experiment with.
>
> Ellis
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Topref
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005
"Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dm5r9b$sfq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> " To Ellis.
>
> <<Thanks for the reply. Have right clicked the folders and sent them to the
> partitioned drive but I do have some questions.
> <<Yes I do intend just formatting "c" and was then going to copy the folders
> back from "D" after reinstalling XP onto "C".
> <<My "C2 drive is 48Gb and the "D" is 25Gb.
> <<I never use "D". I just created the partition "just in case". On boot up
> "C" is described as XP Pro and "D" is classed as XP <<Media Centre (or
> something like that). I assume these are two primary partitions - correct me
> if I'm wrong please.
> <<The only thing on "D" is the operating system. There are no programs there
> but looks like I'll have to install Word and <<Excel as I have files to
> transfer too.
> <<Is there a way of transferring my e.mails over and just as importantly, my
> work files and the contents of My Documents.
> <<Thanks in Advance ...I may have more questions as I progress if you don't
> mind.
>
> Topref
>
> I must be honest and say it is impossible to advise you on how to go about
> formatting and partitioning without having the drive in front of me and
> knowing exactly what is what. There is always the danger of deleting data
> and I dread having to format and partition my own drives, if there is a
> danger of losing data, even though I have done it many, many, times before.
>
> I can only give you bits of general advice. For instance, you can copy My
> Documents over to the other partition the same way as you copied the other
> folders. The only difference is you may have to change the name if there is
> already a My Documents folder on the other partition. Simply call it My
> Documents X.
>
> Also, you need to establish exactly what your partitions are, and you can do
> this by accessing the following folder.
>
> Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management.
>
> This will show you the hard drive and tell you whether the partitions are
> primary partitions, extended partitions or logical drives.
>
> Just take things slowly and try and master one thing at a time. You will get
> there eventually. It would be much better if you had a spare hard drive that
> you could experiment with.
>
> Ellis
>
>


Hi.

Further to my last post. when booting this morning, I opened the Media Centre partition and couldn't find the folders I transferred last night before going to bed, even though the box came up on screen with the folders apparently moving.

You are right, - slowly but surely. I've got a 512 USB pen drive being delivered today so will experiment with transferring stuff to my laptop.

Just did what you mentioned in your post and found that c is the primary and d is logical. Both are reported to be healthy.

Another symptom that this has caused is that when I try and start MS Word, Nortons throw up a window telling me that "Norton anti virus 2005 does not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall"

I have tried uninstalling Norton but it won't allow me so I think it's definitely corrupted.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ellis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005

>>Further to my last post. when booting this morning, I opened the Media
>>Centre partition and couldn't find the folders I >>transferred last night
>>before going to bed, even though the box came up on screen with the
>>folders apparently moving.


If you copy and paste, the original files remain. If you cut and paste, the
original files are gone. If you cant find the files try looking for them in
the Recycle Bin. You can then restore them to their original folder.

>>You are right, - slowly but surely. I've got a 512 USB pen drive being
>>delivered today so will experiment with transferring >>stuff to my laptop.


>>Just did what you mentioned in your post and found that c is the primary
>>and d is logical. Both are reported to be healthy.


So you were right in your plan. Windows XP is installed on the c partition,
and the d partition is used as a storage drive.

How do you plan to format the c partition.???

>>Another symptom that this has caused is that when I try and start MS Word,
>>Nortons throw up a window telling me that >>"Norton anti virus 2005 does
>>not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall"


>>I have tried uninstalling Norton but it won't allow me so I think it's
>>definitely corrupted.


If you go to the Norton Web-site you should be able to download the "Norton
Removal Tool" which is presumably designed to remove all of Norton.

Ellis


 
Reply With Quote
 
Topref
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-25-2005

"Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:dm7cf2$6o1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>>Further to my last post. when booting this morning, I opened the Media
>>>Centre partition and couldn't find the folders I >>transferred last night
>>>before going to bed, even though the box came up on screen with the
>>>folders apparently moving.

>
> If you copy and paste, the original files remain. If you cut and paste, the
> original files are gone. If you cant find the files try looking for them in
> the Recycle Bin. You can then restore them to their original folder.


The originals are still there because I did copy and paste, but the ones I can find are the ones on the donor "d" drive


>>>You are right, - slowly but surely. I've got a 512 USB pen drive being
>>>delivered today so will experiment with transferring >>stuff to my laptop.

>
>>>Just did what you mentioned in your post and found that c is the primary
>>>and d is logical. Both are reported to be healthy.

>
> So you were right in your plan. Windows XP is installed on the c partition,
> and the d partition is used as a storage drive.
>
> How do you plan to format the c partition.???


To be quite honest, I don't know.

>
>>>Another symptom that this has caused is that when I try and start MS Word,
>>>Nortons throw up a window telling me that >>"Norton anti virus 2005 does
>>>not support the repair feature. Please uninstall and reinstall"

>
>>>I have tried uninstalling Norton but it won't allow me so I think it's
>>>definitely corrupted.

>
> If you go to the Norton Web-site you should be able to download the "Norton
> Removal Tool" which is presumably designed to remove all of Norton.
>
> Ellis
>

Do you happen to know if there's a way of copying my e.mails? I have a lot of work related ones there that I should hang on to. Sorry to be a pain.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ellis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-26-2005

<< Do you happen to know if there's a way of copying my e.mails? I have a
lot of work related ones there that I should hang << on to. Sorry to be a
pain.

You could create a new folder on your storage partition and then highlight
each email and use the "File" / "Save As" command to save each email to the
new folder.

Also, if you access Outlook Express and go in to
Tools/Options/Maintenance/Store Folder you can change the location where
your emails are saved. You could create a new folder and use this to store
your emails.

Ellis




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cannot view web pages after transferring files to web server =?Utf-8?B?SmF5RA==?= ASP .Net 3 04-25-2006 08:03 PM
File util API to move files accross partitions/filesystems dwi2004@gmail.com Java 11 11-19-2005 12:37 AM
Transferring Files =?Utf-8?B?THVja3kxMw==?= Wireless Networking 2 09-06-2005 12:25 AM
Trying to format/remove partitions from windows XP box: Partition contains temporary setup files Kin Corn Karn Computer Support 2 02-26-2004 04:04 AM
Transferring files, OLD to NEW computer jf Computer Support 1 09-28-2003 10:51 PM



Advertisments